Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Default macbook and pro tools

hi guys currently i use a macbook pro and pro tools, but i also se logic for surround sound. searching info about the ne hd native and the apogee's symphony i found this pic...which macbook is it?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Default Re: macbook and pro tools

That is probably the Macbook Pro with express card slot using the Symphony Express card hook up (this won't work with Protools HD Native).

With Protools HD native, they've stated that they're working on a way to use a Magma expansion chassis with the express card to have that work with it. Hopefully coming soon.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Talking Re: macbook and pro tools

but this macbook have white bezel not black...
and about the hd native + symphony says:

Will Symphony I/O connect to the Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card?
A: Because the new Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card offers legacy support for Digidesign 192 interfaces, Symphony I/O should connect and perform without issue while running in Pro Tools HD Audio Interface Mode. We will confirm this once the Pro Tools | HD Native card is available. (posted 10/08/2010)

so maybe it will work...
Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 PM

That is definitely a Macbook Pro, just maybe an older one. And that is definitely the Express card they're using. And that express card is the only way you can use the Symphony I/O with a Macbook using the Symphony card system (other than plugging it in usb). It's also the only method that HD Native will possibly work on the macbook pro (not actually supported yet).

And the express card slot is only available on the 17" size. It used to be available on the 15" size, but not anymore.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM

my macbook pro 15" have an express card port...is the first gen of unibody(late 2008 5.1 macbook pro)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM

That's good. You've got options there!

In case you didn't know, express card is like a smaller version of PCI e cards, made for notebooks. So anything that hooks up via PCI e theoretically can hook up to express card. In the case of anything Protools HD, the normal cards must go into a chassis, made by Magma, which then converts it to the express card format. So HD native should work the same way. The guys from Avid have stated that they're working on making sure this will work.

The Symphony I/O would also need to interface with the HD card in a chassis, and the Protools software would see it as an Avid interface.

Note that this chassis is an extra expense ($700+), that must be added in if you're going to use any HD type interfaces (or 3rd party ones by Apogee, Lynx, etc.) with you're notebook. However, that's way cheaper than having to buy a Mac Pro.

Apogee has their own PCI type system called Symphony, which is what you see in the picture. It's similar to HD native in allowing large I/O and Low Latency, but it's only for Core Audio apps like Logic, etc. In the case of laptops, they make a smaller laptop specific card like in the picture so you don't need a separate chassis.