Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Are Digidesign TRYING to lose their customers??

Ive posted in several threads about the ridiculous time it has taken for Digi to accommodate for Windows 7 and 64 bit OS users and how it shows that the 'industry leader' is falling behind the eight ball. They still do not officially support it which continues to amaze me but at least recently they gave some users a BETA option to play with in the version 8 update.

Being a 7.4LE user I emailed Digi support to ask if there will be an update to this version to cater for Windows 7/x64. I received a response informing me that no updates will be released for 7.4 and I was told I would have to purchase the version 8 updgrade for $150.

What sort of company leaves its customers in the dark for months on end waiting for them to provide news on an update then turns around and tells them that if they dont want their hardware to turn into a brick they will have to fork $150 more on top of the already steep price that was originally paid just so they can use it on a mainstream operating system??

Pathetic.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Are Digidesign TRYING to loose their customers??

uh, them telling you to upgrade to 8 for Windows 7 support seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
uh, them telling you to upgrade to 8 for Windows 7 support seems perfectly reasonable to me.
I agree! One day Digi is going to EOSS Windows XP. What gives me the right to delay development of future support by not upgrading and asking for continued support for XP? If you want the support and functionality keep up.

filosofem
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Doesn't bother me either.

"What sort of company leaves its customers in the dark for months on end waiting for them to provide news on an update then turns around and tells them that if they dont want their hardware to turn into a brick they will have to fork $150 more on top of the already steep price that was originally paid..."

Apple comes to mind

Happy New Year!
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM

1st off,, we are all anxious for W7, a lot of cool new options and oppertunities available to us!! But PT's is worth the wait, and it won't be that much longer.
And do you have any other professional software that doesn't have an upgrade every year or so that costs between 100.00 and 200.00??? I know that I don't, and that 150.00 probably doesn't even cover a PT's tech salary for much more than an hour!!??? (Or 2??)
Mike (And for a P.S.,,,,,, it still beats paying what we used to per hour in a professional studio,,,,,,,,, FWIW!!)
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM

anyone remember that you needed to upgrade to 7 to get dual-core support? i felt a little ripped that i had to buy it when my 002r came with 6.4... but then again.. it was a big improvement and totally worth it. and version 8 is totally worth it.

and +1 to The Weed(user not plant)... apple charges for .X versions... they don't even wait till they have full versions to charge $100 for the "new Version"
Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
anyone remember that you needed to upgrade to 7 to get dual-core support?
Sure did. It opened the door to 1st gen Quadzillas. Where are we now.

filosofem
Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 PM

$150 USD from the Avid Store.

filosofem
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
I disagree. Forcing the user to upgrade because he has no choice is not a good way to do business, especially in our current economic situation. I know many (now former) pro tools users who unwittingly went to windows 7 (using a cheap academic license) and can't afford to upgrade pro tools. They aren't saving up, they're learning to work around pro tools.

These people are students now, but later when they're professionals they might be inclined to go with the company that didn't leave them out in the cold when they needed it. Digidesign will get a lot of people paying the $150 for the upgrade now because they have to, but the unwealthy LE customers they loose now might very well translate into lost HD customers down the line.

A user should upgrade because he/she wants the next version for it's functionality, period. and 7.4 is far from obsolete.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Even if and when full 64 W7 support would come out and turns out to be an upgrade from 8 to 9 for example and they would charge me for it, I would be happy to do so. Mind you, I'm not making money with the tools and is purely a hobby. In my case my PT came with the hardware and luckely I bought it at the time right before PT8 came out so I was free of charge to upgrade towards 8. I think in many cases a PT license came with the hardware in the first places (could be totally wrong of course).

Did you ever compared the prices of the software? I recently did and what I found out was that PT comes for about 100 to 150 euros cheaper then some other major daw's. This is talking about the costs of host software, what about VI's and plugs then ? These are expensive and could be a little cheaper if you ask me. And even then I want to pay for quality products like I did for MPTK2, Spectrasonics OmniSphere (and waiting on my shipment of EWQL CCC ).

Nothing comes for free, only the sun each morning (hmmm that ain't true either, its pooring here). And in this high tech world it is a fact that technology just goes as fast as the demanding of the humans driving the wheels. Talking of wheels... (I try to get a dutch fraise I have in my mind to get translated in english now) When you have an old duck (you know that very old citroen car) with its 2 horse power engine and want that new rolls royce bodywork on it. Be sure you need to go push the car.

Happy new year
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4