Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Public Enemies...is it just me...?

Guys,

Just saw this, and...hmmm. I must be honest, until the last reel, it sounded like a temp. Really weird dialogue - stuff that should have been replaced, some hugely compressed stuff, audible fades on production sound, notably absent foley, very quiet music, some really horrible fades on the ends of cues...the only thing that seemed normal was the guns mix. Then the final reel, it sounded like a proper film. I am hoping it was some kind of error in the print I saw.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Public Enemies...is it just me...?

I agree. I was surprised and confused with the audio on this film. It made me wonder if the audio team was up against an unreal schedule and/or budgetary constraints, and a lot of corners had to be cut.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Though I HAVE NOT seen the movie, there's an interview with Kevin O'Connel in the newest Editor's Guild magazine where he talks about the process on this film. Sure seems like they had plenty of time to work on it. It may have just been the aesthetic that Mann was going for. I could cite the article more accurately, but I don't have it in front of me, and it's been two weeks since I read it.
IMDB
LinkedIn
www.emfreq.com
Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Here's an article in Mix:

http://mixonline.com/post/features/a...ublic_enemies/
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM

"this is the first movie I've ever mixed without premixing the dialog first. Michael likes to work from the raw dialog tracks and use as little — if any — processing for the mix" says O'Connell. Well, that much is obvious. Only, I never thought Collateral or MV or Heat's dialogue sounded anything like as bad as this one's does. I mean, it's SO awful...and now i've done further reading, it looks like it wasn't the print I saw, lots of people hate it. Those poor guys. The picture quality is dreadful in many places too, where the HD video (old Cinealta tape - bad move) totally blows out and looks like crappy SD video. I guess Mann's lost it
Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Having read: “He gets into changing levels half a dB, a tenth of a dB, and he gets into syllables" I expect it simply can't be any good. But, OTOH, I'll go to see this movie just to make sure (wow, 149 minutes ;-)
Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM

I thought I was the only one.

I thought... "was this dialog ever edited?" about halfway through the movie.

It was so weird, as was said... audible fades on production, unintelligible lines, missing foley / BGs, huge jumps in volume from one line to the next. And then... just as infiniteloop says... last reel sounded fine... I had the same thought about the print I was watching.

Also the night time scenes were super grainy as per bad video.

It was distracting to say the least, but I still enjoyed the film.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 AM

MM's sound teams only last a couple of movies before they run and hide. I have heard nothing but horror stories. Strange that this guy can make so many people simultaneously think, "It's just not worth going through that again....".

In case it makes anyone feel better though, he's just as hard on the vfx teams (buddy's first hand experience).

FWIW.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 AM

The "Mix" aticle makes it seem like the audio work in "Public Enemies" was all about helping the story. However, I did find the quality really distracting - to a degree where it actually pulls you out of the film.

O'Connell is such a great mixer, and a good guy. I just can't wrap me head around the below quote:

“I have never learned more about mixing on a movie than I have on Public Enemies, and that's because of Michael Mann. I consider him one of the finest filmmakers I have ever worked with.”
Old 07-07-2009, 02:01 AM

I can't help feeling it's all in code, and he's mentioned the lack of dial premix to tell those of us in the know, that he knows it was all wrong. That last quote though- maybe it's all sarcasm? I can't believe anyone who works in the movies came out of it having not been completely distracted by the LACK of storytelling - I was completely confused about who was who for a fair while, and who else thought Depp was in the car that overturned? Yep, me too. Before the assault on bohemia lodge, I was just all "WHERE is the grass, the foots, the tiny gun handling, the breaths?" All this "1/10th of a dB" bull is a total smokescreen.