Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-17-2009, 11:01 AM
GNA

Default How Do I Stop Pro Tools From Creating Shared Folders In Vista?

I installed Pro Tools 8 under my user ID in Vista. I did not in any way install the software to appear under other user IDs in Vista.

But every recording session is saved in a folder that Vista says is shared. I cannot delete these folders without hanging up my machine for 5 to 10 minutes at it tries to delete them. I can't remove sharing of these folders without doing the same.

How in the hell can Vista take 5 to 10 minutes or more to remove sharing from these folders when I'm not on a network and there is only one other user ID registered in Windows for this PC?

Why is Pro Tools saving folders this way? How do I turn this off?

I'm trying to get support from Microsoft, but my guess is that I'm not going to get much help. Based on the absolute nightmare that Microsoft has created with Vista administrator rights and conversion of the My Documents folder, this is probably by twisted design.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
GNA

Default Re: How Do I Stop Pro Tools From Creating Shared Folders In Vista?

Can anyone from Digidesign respond? This is getting crazy. I'm trying to move about 10 session folders from one of my disk drives to the other, and Vista is telling me it's going to take 17 hours to move the files because they are shared and have to be unshared first. After more than 30 minutes, Vista had moved only one folder and half of another.

It claims that the files are shared when the folder properties say they are not. There is clearly something wrong with the Pro Tools installation or how it handles folders. I don't know what to do, because this makes it impossible to ever work with the folders once they've been created.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM

It's a bad idea to store your sessions on your system drive. Maybe it would help if you stored them on an external HD, or a seperate internal HD.

Also, what version of Vista are you running? 64 bit isn't supported.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Avid

I too am having the same problem, from what i can gather i have sharing disabled...but PT keeps creating shared folders for some reason.

Anyone else having this issue on Vista?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM

I'm having this issue (pro tools creates shared folders, really annoying when trying to delete)... anyone find a solution?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:46 PM

I am new to this forum and you guys have already answered this but I discovered that if you go to:
Network> your computer name> users> and then your Pro Tools folder, you can quickly delete all the shared ones there.