Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Default PT Mpowered 8 "quits unexpectedly"

I've installed Protools m-powered 8 on my I Mac (Os X 10.5.6)
and using Profire 2626 interface

I've tried everything those I know have thrown my way from deleting preferences , to trashing plugins (in search of coruption) , to just simply re-installing

Yet, everytime I try one of these suggestions , I still end up getting the "Pro Tools M-powered has quit unexpectedly" window ......

This happens every time I try to launch pro tools and always at the exact same point in the launch .......

I will get to the point where I'm to save the created session to a destination and desired name.......hit save ...and then ....it quits ....

no idea else I should be doing to fix this .....

any suggestions ?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT Mpowered 8 "quits unexpectedly"

If it's quitting during a save it's likely a drive related problem. What type of drive are you using? Have you tried saving to a different drive? Can you give us a more complete description of your system, including how everything is connected?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM

I will for sure ....

I don't have all the information in front of me at the moment ...but I will by tonight ....I'm not going to lie ....I've used pro tools a lot in my time but I've never had my own system, so this computer tech stuff is new to me ....forgive me for any ignorance ......
Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Using an I Mac

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Dual Processor
6MB shared L2 Cache
1GB of 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM ...supports up to 4GB
250GB Serial serial ATA harddrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 xt graphics processor with 128MB of GDDR3 memory

One Firewire 800 port , one firewire 400 port.....

M-Audio Profire 2626 ....... Connected to Mac by firewire cable ...at the moment it's connected to the second firewire port of the 2626 ...however I've tried both

I have nothing else connected to the Imac besides the keyboard, Mouse
The 2626 and the ilok key

I've installed everything to my MacIntosh HD ......and as mentioned
I'm running a firewire cable from the 2626 to the firewire port of my mac

with Ilok key in .....

those arethe only connection I have at this point

Troubleshooting

I've tried re-installing Pro-tools numerous times ...however have not tried re-installing the 2626 drivers yet ..

I've ran a system update

Updated Drivers from the m-audio site

"deleted Preferences" ....

Trashed all plugins in search of corruption

Downloaded pace drivers

Trashed Digidesign databases folder ......

and there's most likely more that I can't think of off the top of my head

Please let me know if you need any more information from me

Thanks so much
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM

You should be working off an external firewire drive.

Try repairing disk permissions
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 AM

Thanks so much ...I'll give that a shot ...

Just for clarification ...when you say I should be working off an external
firewire drive .....

are you saying idealistically ...this is how I should have things set up ...

or are you stating that this set up will absolutely not work without it...?

Only asking 'cause I was under the impression that I should be ok with how things are for now just to get things up and running.....but an external firewire drive will be needed in the near future

Thanks again for your help
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM

For best performance, trouble free performance, as recommended by Digidesign and M-Audio, record to an external Firewire 400 drive with Oxford Chipset and 7200 RPM drive.
Or a 7200 RPM secondary internal drive.

You have an iMac so second internal is not an option.

I have worked on older iMacs off the internal drive with little problems at school. I always transferred the files to my external drive at the end of the day. My drive needed to be mac/PC compatible so was FAT32 format and was transfer only.

1GB of RAM is not a lot too, consider upgrading that soon.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Just to clarify the previous post, I believe he's saying that you should save ALL AUDIO FILES to an EXTERNAL hard drive, not the drive on the computer. That's recommended by many professionals (something I only learned a few months ago myself). Only save applications and other software (such as Reason, etc.) on your computer. Apparently, having too many different types of files can cause problems for your PT. Another option is to partition your existing drive on the computer, but that will involve completely wiping your system. The most common option is to save to an external hard drive and then have a second hard drive as a backup to the first one. Since you have an iMac (like I do, too), you can chain your second firewire drive to the first one. Make sure you keep everything on the 400 speed since the iMac firewire ports run off only one buss. There are cables you can buy to help this; they are six-pin to nine-pin cables, meaning that one end is six pins (fw400) and the other one is nine pins (fw800). A firewire chain will always slow to the lowest speed in the chain; so if you connect your 800 port on the computer to a 400 port on an external drive, the chain will in fact be running at 400. Sorry for the long-winded post.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:14 PM

One thing I didn't mention with this problem...Cause after speaking with people we figured it wasn't a problem at all..

Is that every time i try to re-install pro tools ....or even when I tried installing it for the first time .....

The installation process finishes with the "Installation Failed" window ...stating
that the source media may be damaged .....

I've been installing from an out of the package DVD .....

is this my computer acting up .....or is it actually possible that I may
have a bad source ?

if so ......is there a good chance this could be the route of my problems ?...

what I don't understand is .....I have found evidence in my computer to believe pro tools has installed .....

This is why I failed to mention this .....we didn't think it was a problem ...

but after trying to re-install ........and seeing it again ...I figured it should be something I should look in to
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Pro tools quits unexpectedly "solution"

At least it was for me, and it was NOT found on THIS site by my eyeballs, but I will be corrected I am sure. But it bears mentioning NONE THE LESS!

Recent Mac systems operate with a 64bit processor by default, and Pro Tools is a 32Bit program. They will "somewhat" work together for a week or so, but with some wonky results. DAW errors, tracking lines are off by an inch, and eventually the crashes come on

To put your Mac in 32 bit mode, hold down the "3" and the "2" key together while booting up. It will stay in 32 bit mode from then on.

To go back to 64bit mode, hold down the "6" and the "4" at the same time while booting up and you are back(why, I dont know, if you are using pro tools)

That took me 2 weeks to solve, but my updated LE8.0.4cs is working like a champ.

I dont wanna be a geek, I just wanna make music....

Adam
http://www.youtube.com/user/tx644

Mac I7, 2.93ghz, 4GB ram, MBox2

P.S.//// 32 bit mode only uses so much RAM, so if you have 4 GB of ram, YOU ARE GOOD TO GO! Do not waste your money on bigger chips(like I Did)

Until you are running 64bit Music Software, save your money for bribing the A&R guy's friend's friend. LOL