Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: 003 ADAT Optical & SPDIF inputs - simultaneous recording

Quote:
I looked at that last post and it was all over the shop! haha will try and help you from here...
What is the SPDIF converter you are trying to interface with the digi 002?
It's just a pre with S/PDIF output... ART Digital MPA.

Quote:
Any how who ever was getting the Black lion mods if you are planning on getting something going on the adat be aware of this cos you aint going to be able to use the internal clock on the 002 with adat connected.
Correct me if im wrong but as i say i just tried it and sample light on digimax just keep hunting for sync
I was clocking from the Digimax LT, but I've already eliminated it from my rig. Once my 002 Rack has been moded, I'll want to use the 002 as the master clock and clock my ART Digital MPA from it via ADAT, and record from the ART's S/PDIF out to the 002's S/PDIF in. Digimax LT will be completely out of the picture. I'm only looking for 10 inputs... 8 analog and 2 S/PDIF.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: 003 ADAT Optical & SPDIF inputs - simultaneous recording *DELETED*

Post deleted by Bezo
Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 AM

My bad
Let us know how the mods turn out !!
very interested myself and if i am honest its very rare that i need more than ten inputs also.
Plan on keeping the digimax any way {tired of being raped) so if the ocassion arises i have it in reserve
very interested in Black lion
Please keep us posted
Shaun
Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 AM

Cool.. just had a look at the mic pre.. It isnt the most straight forward looking device, i can imagine why you are having problems!
Personally.. i would just connect over spdif and use the Art as the sync master But since you want to use Pro Tools as master, you can try the following...

have Pro Tools set us as you do now...( I have the hardware set up as such... Clock Source: Internal; Digital Source: S/PDIF = RCA, Optical = ADAT. )

Connect 2 optical cables between the Digi and the ART (in to out, in to out)

On the ART, select the Sample Rate as ADAT. This will allow the ART to clock to the incoming time from the Digi 002.

On the Digi, you want to them arm tracks 9-10 of the ADAT input. These should now be reading the first to channels from the ART.

That should cover it. Im sorry if my description isn;t up to scratch, but the ART appears to have a VERY unituitive approach to its digital card. Also make sure your session isn't higher than 48khz, as the ART cannot sync to a clock higher than 50khz through ADAT.

I hope this helps! Really, simplest way as said before is to slave Pro Tools to RCA SPDIF input and use the ART as the master clock.

Good luck, hope this helps
Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Let us know how the mods turn out !!...

very interested in Black lion
Please keep us posted
If you haven't, check over at gearslutz.com. There's a few threads with hundreds of post between them. I'm sure you'd get a better idea from those than from me. I don't remember reading a single bad thing about the mod. The worst thing I remember reading is that the pres still didn't stack up to someone's $3,000 pre.

But I'll be sure to share my opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Cool.. just had a look at the mic pre.. It isnt the most straight forward looking device, i can imagine why you are having problems!
Personally.. i would just connect over spdif and use the Art as the sync master
I would, but I'm banking on the upgraded clock from Black Lion Audio being better than ART's clock. And my understanding from weeks of reading is that, unless a clock is TERRIBLE, and the external option is far superior, it's always best to clock internally.

Quote:
But since you want to use Pro Tools as master, you can try the following...

have Pro Tools set us as you do now...( I have the hardware set up as such... Clock Source: Internal; Digital Source: S/PDIF = RCA, Optical = ADAT. )

Connect 2 optical cables between the Digi and the ART (in to out, in to out)

On the ART, select the Sample Rate as ADAT. This will allow the ART to clock to the incoming time from the Digi 002.

On the Digi, you want to them arm tracks 9-10 of the ADAT input. These should now be reading the first to channels from the ART.
Hmmm. I was hell bent on using the S/PDIF out for some reason. Will I get better/worse/same sound quality from ADAT as I would from S/PDIF? The ART manual recommends using S/PDIF because, "it is the most robust and reliable of all the digital ouputs". But, after reading that section a few more times, I get the impression they're recommending using the optical out in S/PDIF mode. WTF!!!

I'll have to buy another optical cable, but this seems like a great idea. I'm glad I thought of it.

Quote:
That should cover it. Im sorry if my description isn;t up to scratch, but the ART appears to have a VERY unituitive approach to its digital card. Also make sure your session isn't higher than 48khz, as the ART cannot sync to a clock higher than 50khz through ADAT.
I did have to read through the digital section a few times to understand the S/PDIF and AES/EBU options when selecting sample rates... and the S/PDIF/ADAT output button. I'm sure I'm still confused.

And I record everything 24/44.1, so that's no problem.

Quote:
Good luck, hope this helps

As I was able to get audio via ADAT when going through one of my many test, this helps a lot. I'm pretty sure this will work just fine.

Thanks!!!

I'm still curious about not being able to get sound from the S/PDIF out to the 002's S/PDIF in though. I selected a sample rate from the S/PDIF range as the manual suggest. And I had the Optical Output Switch depressed(S/PDIF). Hopefully, it's moot at this point, but I'm currious.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. I was hell bent on using the S/PDIF out for some reason. Will I get better/worse/same sound quality from ADAT as I would from S/PDIF? The ART manual recommends using S/PDIF because, "it is the most robust and reliable of all the digital ouputs". But, after reading that section a few more times, I get the impression they're recommending using the optical out in S/PDIF mode. WTF!!!
There is no quality difference between the S/PDIF and the ADAT.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM

I did a test with a dbx mic pre feeding S/PDIF to the RCA plug input and a Digimax feeding to the ADAT input of the 002r. The dbx was the clock with the 002 slaved to the S/PDIF.

They all worked, even the Digimax that was not locked to anything. 18 inputs at once.

I then hooked up a BNC cable using the Digimax as the master clock and the dbx slaved to that with the 002 slaved to the S/PDIF. Again they all worked fine.

I don't know why the Digimax was working without being slaved. Perhaps the clocks are close enough.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I would, but I'm banking on the upgraded clock from Black Lion Audio being better than ART's clock. And my understanding from weeks of reading is that, unless a clock is TERRIBLE, and the external option is far superior, it's always best to clock internally.
I believe that is the case as well. Honestly, it appears the best reason for external clocking is just a convenient way to sync all digital devices to one clock.

Quote:
I'm still curious about not being able to get sound from the S/PDIF out to the 002's S/PDIF in though. I selected a sample rate from the S/PDIF range as the manual suggest. And I had the Optical Output Switch depressed(S/PDIF). Hopefully, it's moot at this point, but I'm currious.
I wonder if that switch simply outputs a S/PDIF stream from the ARTS optical output? If it does, then you would have to set the Digi to Optical = S/PDIF and RCA = NONE...

Just thinking off the top of my head.. best of luck
Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 PM

Matt, thanks again for opening my eyes to using the ADAT for audio. It's working like a charm. Can't imagine why I was ignoring that option.

Quote:
I wonder if that switch simply outputs a S/PDIF stream from the ARTS optical output? If it does, then you would have to set the Digi to Optical = S/PDIF and RCA = NONE...

Just thinking off the top of my head.. best of luck
I'm assuming that at least one function of that button is to determine the output for the audio since I had to press it(ADAT) to get audio out via ADAT. What the manual says is, "The Optical output switch selects the data source for this jack."

It goes on to say, "In S/PDIF mode, two-channel audio is present. The data is identical to the coax & cannon digital output connectors." This is all under the Optical output section by the way. This SEEMS to confirm your suspision, that I could send an S/PDIF signal through the optical output. I tried it before submitting this post. The optical button was flashing, indicating the unit wasn't receiving clock info. Makes me wonder if the Digital Input section in PT's hardware set up also affects the digital output. Why esle would the ART not be receiving clock info?

The manual goes on to say, "Using the optical output in S/PDIF is recommended over the coax output as it is the most robust and reliable of all the digital outputs." Now, did they mean S/PDIF "mode"? If so, in conjunction with the earlier quote, they seem to be RECOMMENDING sending the S/PDIF signal through the optical output. Again, all of this is under the Optical Output section. Or are they saying IF you want to sent audio via S/PDIF, it's best to send it through the optical output? I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm confused as hell.

Lastly, under the Sample Rate Control section, it says, "When the switch is in the out position, the output consists of 2 channels of digital audio in the format selected by the Sample Rate Switch." The sample rate section on the pre has an S/PDIF side and a AES/EBU side. Again, they seem to confirm your suspision.

And I'm still confused why I was not able to use the S/PDIF i/o, though that's moot at this point.

Edit: Not moot as I could always use 2 additional inputs. I have synths and a drum machine with S/PDIF outs. I'd be able to bypass one of their converters.

Thanks again! I'll let you know what ART says.