Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-13-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Avid buys M-Audio?

anyone else read this? I think it is a good thing - What does any one else think about it?

lD
Old 08-13-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Avid buys M-Audio?

really? Hmm.. where was the article posted? That would be interesting if it happened. Maybe my midi sport uno would have better luck when I reinstall it on my system where I wouldn't have to go through hell to get it configured for everything.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:14 AM

Quote:
really? Hmm.. where was the article posted? That would be interesting if it happened. Maybe my midi sport uno would have better luck when I reinstall it on my system where I wouldn't have to go through hell to get it configured for everything.
Hey Penguino...

TRY HERE...

Sorry about the "analyzer" malfunction...still in the shop. That gum just flat out killed it !!
cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 08-13-2004, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the link lemix!

No prob. about the analyzer. heheh Digi will just have to build us a new analyzer for use with that brand of gum now. lol
Old 08-13-2004, 04:25 PM

hopefully this will not be like Fender ruining DeArmond, Sunn, and Jackson. And from teh 2 guitars I played in the store yesterday, Guild is on the way out.

anyway, I hope they buy MOTU and make their hardware ProTools compatible, cause I like the motu stuff lots. But I hate the software!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 04:47 PM

I'm so excited about this that I signed up to post here. I own an M-Audio audio card, and I use a competing software product. I've looked into getting something with PTLE for a while, but I prefer my PCI-based card. I'm hoping that, with M-Audio cards all using essentially the same driver, that Digidesign will make a new proprietary driver which runs PTLE on M-Audio cards. I'd be the first in line to buy the software. I think that there are probably a lot of other people like me who would be more inclined to switch to the software, but use existing hardware, at least for the time being. With so many people already using M-Audio hardware, it will solidify PT's place as "the" system even more. I'm guessing that Digidesign is tired of hearing that people are coming into studios asking for another format. If they can catch the typical M-Audio user, then there becomes even less reason for a studio to look outside the world of PT for their system. It's like Microsoft creating new Visual Studio Express versions for their next version. Capture them when they are starting, and you solidify you place at the top, besides making a whole lot more money on the mass market. Good move, and I'm glad it's M-Audio that was purchased, because I'm already "in the family."
Old 08-14-2004, 05:40 AM

As I posted elsewhere:

The question always is, in a case like this, whether the goal is to integrate the product line and make everything more compatible, or if it is just to eliminate the competition. Hard to picture Digi making M hardware products compatible with ProTools when they have always strived to keep their hardware & software proprietary and exclusive.

I hope for your case they do. It is just hard to know until they make an announcement about it. I wouldn't mind being able to buy a cheaper M-audio product to use with PT on my laptop on the road, either.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind being able to buy a cheaper M-audio product to use with PT on my laptop on the road, either.
don't count on it. digi spent a long time building a brand and i highly doubt they're going to dilute it by adding "outside" hardware to the line. look for promotion bundles with PT and other software (live, etc) and hardware (keyboards, controllers, etc), but don't get your hopes up that the next PT version will run on m-audio soundcards.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Hello. Check on the Press Release in the News section of the Digidesign website. They also have a link to an extended Q&A section. It says that they basically have no intention of either letting Pro Tools run on M Audio hardware, rebranding the M Audio hardware as Digidesign hardware or migrating any M Audio hardware into the Digidesign LE hardware line.

Basically, the long and the short of it, they are saying Avid just bought out M Audio. No plans to integrate anything from either company. However, they did say no plans for now, but if it makes sense in the future, they may do some of these things.

I think the only thing that would make sense for the future is if they used M Audio R&D know how to build future Digidesign LE hardware. I just don't see what Digidesign and Avid would benefit in opening their software to other hardware, even if it is now under the same roof. It would mean headaches in compatibility and testing.

But obviously the next 4 to 12 months will tell us what this all means.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I read the Q&A. It sounds like their plan is to solidify their place in hardware, so maybe the software isn't as important for them. Well, there's always OMF export since PT has OMF import.