Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM

Default New Mbox Pro problem with preamp pots?

So I finally got my new Mbox Pro, hooked it up, got it running through pro tools without any issues. however, when i started testing the pre amps, i ran into something interesting.

When i turn the pot level hotter, it will very gradually increase the volume, but remain pretty low, this part is fine. but when it gets just before being maxed out, the volume signal jumps pretty drastically. I'm not really sure if this is how it is suppose to work or not, it just seems odd that it has such a drastic change at the very end.

I tried playing around with the -20db pad and it seems to do the same thing, just jumps pretty drastically in volume right near the end of its range. anyone else notice this? is it suppose to do this or is something off?

Thanks guys
Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Default Re: New Mbox Pro problem with preamp pots?

Don't know why this happens, but it happens on many units besides the Mboxes. Maybe that's why I hate using the last bit of "knob". Personally, I rarely have to turn GAIN knobs past halfway(if I do, then I search for a problem). Most cheap to mid-priced preamps get too noisy at the top of the GAIN setting anyway

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 06-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:56 PM

+1
Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 AM

I have noticed the same gain bump on other preamps as well but nothing as drastic as the new Mbox. My problem is the volume is way too low or if I past the bump it's way too high. I cannot get enough gain out of a nice condenser without turning up the preamp 90% or higher.

No the -20 db pad is not engaged. I record fine all the time in my PTHD with my Millennia preamps and my 96 i/o. I am just trying to help a friend diagnose his low level problem.

Ideas?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM

I just purchased the MBox3 mini. I Mic my amp at the grill cloth(SM57) and Xlr's on both ends, into input 1 on MBox. I have to turn my amp up more than a comfortable level and the gain on the MBOX to 3/4 to get proper input level. This does not seem right .Then after about 3/4 get over drive. Anyone else have same issue?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Don't know about the Mini but if that was a normal mBox 3 it would sound like you have the Pad on.
Are your Gain Knobs pushed in or pulled out?

I have a mBox 2 and a mBox 3, Gain setting half way with no Pad is basically the same on both units.

The big difference to me is in the clarity not the level.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM

Also what are your levels set for in the mBox Control Console?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM

did you find a solution for the mbox3 pro levels of input 1 and 2
i got the same , and can't find a solution
thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg0man View Post
I just purchased the MBox3 mini. I Mic my amp at the grill cloth(SM57) and Xlr's on both ends, into input 1 on MBox. I have to turn my amp up more than a comfortable level and the gain on the MBOX to 3/4 to get proper input level. This does not seem right .Then after about 3/4 get over drive. Anyone else have same issue?
I got the same problem. I used SM57 for recording, and I have to turn the gain volume up to get a better waveform. However, the sound that I recorded from the mic was totally different from what I heard from the amp.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchenhk View Post
I got the same problem. I used SM57 for recording, and I have to turn the gain volume up to get a better waveform. However, the sound that I recorded from the mic was totally different from what I heard from the amp.
What exact interface are you using?
What guitar amp and cab?
What type of music are you playing/what tone are you going for? Unless you are after super clean tones most amps are going to be recorded at reasonably high sound levels.
What do you mean "to get a better waveform" ?
If the volume is set about half way on the mic preamp how does the recording playback *sound* (not "look")?
We cannot help much with comparisons like "totally different", totally different how?
How are you monitoring this back to make the comparison, what monitors/speakers or headphones. (That is always going to sound different than the live amp in the room).
Post a sample to Sound cloud, especially if you think the recording has an outright problem.
Do you have a second mic to try? How does this mic sound if you use it for vocals?