Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 07-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Waves Tracks Live - anyone running succesfully with FWx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcx View Post
i guess everyone found out already...

tracks have had some issues with "some audio devices" in the past, the new version, as i found is working with FWx flawlessly.

Thanks for sharing, I never tested it again.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM

question for you, i tried using Tracks live the other day with a SC48, i had the newest version of FWx32 on my macbook pro running OS X 10.9

What computer set up where you using?

Thanks for the info!
OSX 10.12.2
UA Apollo Quad Firewire
Lots of UA and Waves plugins
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Old 01-14-2016, 02:32 AM

I was using the following on my last tour and it worked fine:

Desk Firewire 400 <----> Firewire 800 Macbook Pro.

Make sure you download the most recent FWX driver though.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Hi All.
Am trying to get to grips with Waves Tracks Live. .
The manual is very lean on short cuts, eg, fit all tracks to window . . or how to delete a marker .
Any one out there got some tips for me please . .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 04-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Tracks Live is built on Ardour.

You could check the Ardour manual for features you are looking for, and see if they may be functional in Tracks Live, even though they may be undocumented.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-04-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Hi All.
Am trying to get to grips with Waves Tracks Live. .
The manual is very lean on short cuts, eg, fit all tracks to window . . or how to delete a marker .
Any one out there got some tips for me please . .
I have but one tip. Abandon Waves Tracks Live and get Reaper. It will do all that and more, with greater reliability.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM

Hi Brent. .
OK, so I have downloaded Reaper. .
Being a Pro Tools guy I have some questions which I would really appreciate help with to get me kick started;
1- Where do I edit key commands so I can match them to what I'm used to ? . zooming etc .
2- How do I get Reaper to copy imported audio files & place them at thier time stamped position ?
3-How do I make a group ?
4- Do you have any top tips for using this to record a 2 hour show & using it for virtual sound checking ?

Any answers . . massively appreciated .

OK ; So I'm now enjoying Kenny's fantastic accent in his fabulous videos . .But still, any advice is much appreciated .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~

Last edited by priorytools; 04-05-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Hi Brent. .
OK, so I have downloaded Reaper. .
Being a Pro Tools guy I have some questions which I would really appreciate help with to get me kick started;
1- Where do I edit key commands so I can match them to what I'm used to ? . zooming etc .
2- How do I get Reaper to copy imported audio files & place them at thier time stamped position ?
3-How do I make a group ?
4- Do you have any top tips for using this to record a 2 hour show & using it for virtual sound checking ?

Any answers . . massively appreciated .

OK ; So I'm now enjoying Kenny's fantastic accent in his fabulous videos . .But still, any advice is much appreciated .
OK, the following notes are for Reaper 5.

1. Preferences -> Keyboard/Multitouch -> click on "Assign keyboard shortcuts..."

2. To import audio: Insert->Media File. Not 100% certain about importing at a timestamped position but there are some relevant preferences at Preferences->Media.

3. http://en.wikiaudio.org/Reaper:Group_tracks

4. Not much to it really, just record and play back. I'd make a custom toolbar with buttons to arm all and un-arm all. The routing matrix takes a little getting used to (especially with a 192 channel interface!). And definitely use templates.

My big tip, if you have an iPad, is to get TouchOSC and build yourself a custom template. Almost everything in Reaper is OSC mappable. I have a template with several tabs. One has VU meters and arm buttons, transport controls and time - I use this when capturing a live show. Another has big jog wheels for zoom and jog/scrub plus skip to marker buttons - I use that for virtual soundchecks. Another has some utlity macros, like save/close, or create new session from main template. Stuff like that. Its also very useful in the studio for any custom control options you might want. I use a headless Mac Mini in my tour rig, and have it KVM'd to my console screen, but I basically do everything on the ipad and leave it running where I can see it during the show.

Another trick, to sort of replicate venue-link is to create a list of pre-named markers for your songs. Put them at the 2.5hr mark (longer than your recording), assign each a midi note to place at current spot in timeline. Then have your SC48 send out the corresponding midi note when you fire a snapshot. When you advance snapshots, the marker with the appropriate song title will be placed in the timeline. Later, you can use midi/osc to jump to those markers while in virtual soundcheck mode.

Finally, the Reaper community is incredibly active and helpful. When I started using the midi-marker scenario I just described I ran into a problem, which was that I needed to be able to do up to 200 markers. I posted a query on the Reaper forum and within a few hours someone wrote me a custom script to add as many markers as I wanted. Thats the kind of thing where Reaper really shines, its incredibly customizable and open.

For what its worth, I've recorded hundreds of hours of shows up to 64 tracks using Reaper, some by Firewire, most by Madi. Reaper has never caused me a problem.

I, of course, love and use ProTools, but its not always an option, particularly with 3rd Party hardware, and in those situations Reaper has done very well by me.

Oh, and if you end up using it? Buy it. Its like $60. Don't be that guy.

If you look closely in this little interview video, you can see my iPad communicating with Reaper via OSC. I was also very sick that day...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_6EZUy8r0
Old 12-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcx View Post
i guess everyone found out already...

tracks have had some issues with "some audio devices" in the past, the new version, as i found is working with FWx flawlessly.
I've recorded successfully from both an SC48 and a D-Show via FWx, as well as an S3L-X via AVB.

The one issue I always have though is the frustration of getting the files imported into Pro Tools due to the track naming. I can't simply import them in one go, nor do they have the filenames of the original channels. For that, I wrote some software that takes an Avid VENUE patchlist, and uses it to rename all the files from Waves Tracks into a format that is easy to import. The software is free for anybody to use.
https://github.com/kward/tracks
Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Avid

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue.

You can't use the File > Import Audio dialogue? it will allow you to select entire folders.

and if you connect VENUE Link it will automatically name all tracks.

Or did you mean importing FROM Waves Tracks into Pro Tools?

[email protected]