Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 04:36 AM

Default Mac OS9 data CDs not readable in OSX?

I need to drag some files off some data CDs that were written back in the late 90s on a Mac. That would be OS9 era I think?

I’m using an Apple SuperDrive and none of multiple disks I’ve tried will mount in OSX Catalina. Does anyone know of a way to make them readable? The SuperDrive is working fine.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Mac OS9 data CDs not readable in OSX?

Maybe the cd's themselves are the problem? Those things don't last forever you know. I've seen old cd's and dvd's with the internal layers failing.

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 AM

Most likely bad media. AFAIK there should not be anything different in how OS9 and OSX burn ISO9660 format, a.k.a. CD-ROM. Even if yours had HFS in it, OSX should be able to read it.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM

It seems unlikely every disk would be faulty. I’ve tried over 20 now written over a two year period from various reputable manufacturers.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM

That certainly sounds strange. Back in the day I remember PC needed extra software for reading certain Mac CDROM that were not burnt as hybrid, but first I hear OSX cannot read OS9 media
Old 03-28-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It seems unlikely every disk would be faulty. I’ve tried over 20 now written over a two year period from various reputable manufacturers.
Doesn't matter. I have boxed collections of Doctor Who reboot dvd's done by BBC from Chris Eccleston through Matt Smith and almost everyone is unplayable due to the media delaminating - you can see the colors when you look at the back of the disks. It's not the normal silver but looks like black & blue from bruising one's body. And these collections are less than a decade old.

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:09 AM

Hmmmm ... to troubleshoot, I'd try a different computer.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-28-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Hmmmm ... to troubleshoot, I'd try a different computer.
Exactly! I’m going to try my studio Mac running Mojave tomorrow. I was wondering if Catalina security was blocking things. My laptop running Catalina is reading data CDs/DVDs written in early OSX versions fine, just not OS9 disks.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:59 PM

Iirc, there was a warning about old cd Roms not working around 10.10.x from chicken systems, saying you need to convert all of your old libraries before upgrading. I have a lot of old cd-r backups from the OS9 era... I’ll see if I can test a few of them to see if they load up on newer Mac OS.

Interestingly enough, I was always taught in the early 2000’s that CD-r was the most stable form of backup. It may have been at the time, but certainly not a preferred form of backup today. The thing I hate the most about it is I had large sessions that were split across multiple CD-Rs because they only held 700mb. I have hard drives that are over 10 years old that still spin up and work fine. Definitely not relying on them as a main form of backup, but it’s interesting to see how well they hold up.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Iirc, there was a warning about old cd Roms not working around 10.10.x from chicken systems, saying you need to convert all of your old libraries before upgrading. I have a lot of old cd-r backups from the OS9 era... I’ll see if I can test a few of them to see if they load up on newer Mac OS
That’s very kind of you John. Let me check if I can read them in Mojave in the morning and I’ll report back before you go to any trouble.