Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM

Default how do I use Syx or Sys-Ex files ?

Looking into using some sys-ex stuff, I suppose "synth samples and settings" from the net, just wondering how the hell to use them ????

From what I can gather, you need a sys-ex editor to load them into, then transmit them and ???

Sorry if this is one of those "R.T.F.M" type questions, but seems a bit of a mystery...

I would have thought that there would be some way to use these things.. I am using a "Generic midi controller" and pro tools by large as my host, though can use other things like kontakt, etc etc... though perhaps I am working/thinking in the wrong direction ??

Any/all help muchly appreciated, as this is something I'd love to tap into!

Regards!
Allhexx.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: how do I use Syx or Sys-Ex files ?

I think you may need a little better understanding of exactly what sys-ex means.

sys-ex = "System Exclusive"

Meaning that the messages contained within a sys-ex file are usually exclusive to the system that produces it.

Here's an online definition that might clear things up for you a bit.

In short, most "sys-ex" files you find on the 'net would require you to own the specific hardware (or sometimes software) that created it.

What is it specifically that you are trying/wanting to do?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 AM

Yeah no, i thought as much as to "System Exclusive" - rather logical really

essentially, im looking for I suppose emulations of some "generic synth sounds" more in a specific context geared towards melodic black metal, so I was looking at some equipment lists of bands and somewhere along the line got sidetracked and found pages with loads of sys-ex patches etc.

It is not possble to use a "rompler" based type sample player or something to use some of them?

for example, if i had a virus emulator that could read patches, and then i had virus patches for/from an actual virus hardware synth, could I use those with the emulator?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
for example, if i had a virus emulator that could read patches, and then i had virus patches for/from an actual virus hardware synth, could I use those with the emulator?
Sure, as long as the emulator has that capability.
Quote:
It is not possble to use a "rompler" based type sample player or something to use some of them?
Not really. Not unless, as mentioned above, it is a unit that directly emulates the particular hardware that created the sys-ex (again, exclusive to the system that created it) and it has that particular capability to import those sys-ex files.

I would honestly suggest giving up the sys-ex idea; I think you would be fighting a losing battle and/or spending a lot of money in the process to achieve your goal.

However...

There are literally thousands of possibilities to do what you want to do.

You can use one of the many software synthesizers available. Many of them will load sys-ex patches from the real thing that they are emulating (like your virus example, though the only virus software emulator I know of are only available for products with hardware acceleration; TC Powercore and Pro Tools TDM/HD, though I'm not even sure those are capable of sys-ex import). Many others will have "users groups" that will have patches that match a particular sound you are looking for.

You can also use a software sampler or sample playback unit (rompler) to load actual samples of the instrument in question (provided you can find the particular samples you are looking for provided somewhere).

Your question is still pretty generic, so the answer you are getting is still pretty generic, I'm afraid. Yes, it is possible to load some specific sounds on some specific hardware emulators. Yes it is possible that someone has created/provided a sample set of a particular instrument for a sampler/rompler.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks, that makes complete sense, I know what you mean.
It will probably be a lot easier and simpler just to search around some forums and user groups/find patches etc etc, still, thanks for the information and clarification in regards to my query.

Cheers!
A.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
It will probably be a lot easier and simpler just to search around some forums and user groups/find patches etc etc, still, thanks for the information and clarification in regards to my query.
I use an AN1x sysex file to load new patches onto my AN1x.

I use an FS1R sysex file to load new patches onto my FS1R.

I use an Proteus2000 sysex file to load new patches onto my Proteus2000.

Forget sysex for a moment... What are you using for sounds?

It will probably be a lot easier and simpler just to search around some shops/ebay/classifieds for a synth that plays patches.