Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-25-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Video Sync Issue..Logic as master to PT

Our dual 2.0 G5 is running Logic Pro 7.0.1 and is the master to a G4 running ProTools LE 6.9 with a 002(both are OS 10.3.8).

The G4 is our video computer. In a ProTools session on this computer we have our video reels set up. There is a Big Ben acting as master clock to everyone.

Our issue is that after about 5 passes through a cue in Logic, the video in Pro Tools begins to studder. Looking at the transport in ProTools, it looks like the play and stop buttons are being hit over an over. This doesn't occur the first few passes, and it does not occur in our A studio running TDM for the same purpose (same computer set up as well).

Any thoughts?

It is sincerely appreciated.

Tyler
Earle-Tones Music
Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Video Sync Issue..Logic as master to PT

Help....
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 PM

I've run into situations where the video playback stutters along as well, both on TDM and LE systems. Also, the fact that you mentioned the Play/Stop buttons going frantic leads me to believe that you're having the same issue I was.

When this starts to happen check the "Wait For MIDI Button" on the transport bar (It's beside the metronome button).

If this has become active then your session may stutter as you've mentioned. Now, determining what causes this function to become active is another matter but I'm assuming that you're feeding the PT system MIDI Time Code from Logic, so I would look there first.

I hope this helps.

-Ayotte
Old 10-25-2005, 03:14 PM

So the "Wait For Midi Data" shoul not be checked? Because I looked at it and it was not initiated. So I clicked it and initiated it (turned blue) and still no change. Here's some further data.

Shutting down the session and reopening it causes it to work again. Then, about five playbacks (starting and stopping counting as one) later, it begins to studder, and the play and stop button clicks on and off in intervals that keep time with the tempo. The audio in the movie does not play. It just jumps from frame to frame, in time with the tempo. It is extremely weird, and very bothersome. Work has slowed considerably.

Thanks so much for your input.

Any other ideas?

Tyler
Earle-Tones Music
Old 10-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Hi...

So no one out there has any answers or suggestions regarding this problem? I've seen this exact issue on several LE systems, PT is syncing fine for a while, and suddenly it's stuttering all over the place. And then it's fine again, and then it stutters again....etc

I've seen it with Logic as master, I've seen it with Cubase as master, and I've seen it with a number of different midi interfaces. So everything points back to LE as the source of the problem. If anyone has any insight to this, it would be greatly appreciated. Please!!!

I have both an Mbox and an 002 w/DV toolkit, and it happens on both. NO problems at all though with my HD system.

thanks...