Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Some things I\'d like to see in PT 8 HD (or 7.5

How about ...

Sibelius style scoring?

A dongle for using PT without an audio interface for mobile edit/playback.

Built-in "Syncheck" for ADC-style calculation and accommodation of f/w-video latency

Bring them on ...
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Some things I\'d like to see in PT 8 HD (or 7.5!)

Quote:
Hello,

First I want to say I really appreciate how digidesign has continued to make PT more composer friendly through each update. I've actually recently said goodbye to Logic for the most part (tired of the TDM incompatibilities) and started my scoring sessions in PT. PT finally feels more "musical" to me in the way that Logic has over the years. I guess if you like working in any kind of score editor you'll always stick with the other sequencers....but here are some additional features I would like to see in PT to make it a even more streamlined tool for composing on tight deadlines for the rest of us:

- track folders. Just a simple folder hierarchy system where tracks can be folded into or out of, where each folder can be solo'd or muted...this makes templates with massive amounts of predefined MIDI tracks much more managable. And would also make doing stripes for final mix downs simpler.

- mute of individual MIDI notes. right now I'm making a whole new playlist when I start mucking around with taking MIDI notes in or out but it would save me a lot of time if I could just simply mute a MIDI note like I can an audio region.

- bypass of hardware inserts. This must be possible as you can do it in Logic TDM.

These don't seem like massive feature requests but would help greatly in my day to day. Please add any other feature ideas you have that are composer centric and possibly the reason some choose the other apps over protools.

..Yes to all of these please Digi! M.i.d.i stills feels very cumbersome without folders, if you're dealing in larger orchestral , or dance for that matter, arrangements

Folders are a great idea anyway, & they would present few problems for backward compatability..

xx
Mobile: 2017 Macbook Pro, OSX 10.13.6, PT 2018.x.x, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 AM

Drum maps!!!!!!!!!!

Steve.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 AM

I want to be able to write automation to audio tracks while recording. How hard can it be?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:04 AM

PT designers should step away from audio, and go visit Flash 8, or Final Cut Pro -- these apps are EXTREMELY deep, but they manage to integrate the power with the interface and workflow.

And I don't suggest downloading the demo and poking around -- you gotta learn it from a pro. I learned Flash from the John Uliiman DVDs from Total Training. I learned FCP from a handful of tutorials, but my favorite was the Michael Wohl/MacProVideo.com training series.

My point: there are user interface techniques out there that are truly elegant, and IDEAS and CONCEPTS for non-linear manipulation of data that could be quite useful... without turning PT into Logic.

My favorite feature of the week: Final Cut Pro's keyboard re-mapping. ****** elegant. PT should just steal the idea.

But getting back to the bigger picture... I have learned so much about interface and user interaction with the interface by immersing myself into 2 very unrelated programs... and as a student of interface design, much can be learned by taking yourself away from what you know and learning from others. I hope the PT designers hang out with non-audio applications for inspiration.

FWIW.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 AM

I'd be happy if they removed the function of the N key in key focus mode.

Beyond that plug-in follows track selection, and how about an option to minimize the region names . . . give you a preference to shorten them to however many characters you prefer . . . I could use some information there but too many characters doesn't tell me anything and just gets in the way so that i have to turn the names off.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 AM

1) True automation playlists. Each track could not only have multiple audio playlists, but also have multiple automation playlists.

2) Session snapshots. A snapshot describes a session state, where a state may describe what audio playlists are in use, which automation playlists are in use, which plugs are in bypass, and mixer/edit window appearances.

3) More groups, maybe 200 total.

4) The ability to suspend and enabel a group in the drop down that's not accessed by clicking on a track's group icon.

5) Group membership and group identity are visble in the Edit window, like they are now visible in the Mix window.

John Caldwell
Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 AM

Default next genereation of Digi HArdware

a)Since many people use digital boards like Yamaha Dm2000, 01V96, 02R96, Dm24, it would be cool to have a new digital interface like the M-audio small box that does 32I/o.

b)when previewing fades, I would like to be able to change the playback output. Why does it have to be done fixed at out 1-2? Generally my Outs 1-2 are Kick and Snare.

c)When performing a bounce, why has the screen to get totally frozen? That horrible rectangle in the middle of the screen must have already been substituted by soemthing else.

d)I would like to record and playback Sysex data properly into/out of Pro Tools Midi Sequencer.

e)Ability to burn a CD without having to change applications. Masterlist was ok for what we did)(PQ coding, Subcoding, ISRCs, etc). DVD-Audio or Sa-CD capability would bea must.

f)Possibility of using Firewire interfaces in the next generation of Pro Tools TDM .

g)Possibility of mastering 2-track audio in DSD format. (The rebirth of a exclusive Sound Designer software!LOL)

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I misunderstood you, but for all I know, they´ve done that in 7.3. In workspace you can now build your own catalog(s) with favourite settings of all your plugins and then do just that: drag the plug in onto the insert selector. To access my "Insert" catalog quickly, I made a window configuration for it. Martin
Thank you Tony, Martin (& Gil!)

Messing with the workspace, catalogs & a new configuration window setup this afternoon! Very cool.

And I see holding command and selecting my new "favs" at the top of the menu 'toggles / removes' them. Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM

I was hoping that regions would finally be translucent letting me see a ghost of the grid and especially the yellow marker line beneath. I have to always zoom to judge the grid if there are tracks above and below that conceal them.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12