Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Default MKH 50 attenuation

I´m a bit confused by a Sennheiser MKH50 I´ve rented. When using the attenuation-switch it seems as if there´s a major change in the sound of the microphone. It sounds kind of "plastic" and seem to lack high freq. Isn´t it suppose to just lower the input -10 dB and NOT the sound?

/R
Old 05-07-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Re: MKH 50 attenuation

Many microphones change character with pads, some more than others. Usually the sound gets "smaller" (freq response maybe?), not just lower in level, a consequence of the way condenser mic pads work with the extreme sensitivity of the circuits they are attached to. Sometimes I've wondered how much of the chance was the mic and how much was the preamp changing character with higher gain.

I've used the MKH 30/40/50 series but never with the level pad engaged. What instrument are you using it on? Do you really mean to say the change is "major"?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Hello

I´m recording dialouge on the mkh 50 and yes the change is pretty major. I´m actually embarresed I´ve let the sound pass through my earphones without noticing it until listening in my studio. Anyone with experience using the MKH 50 or related issues?

Cheers

/R
Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 AM

When I recorded that piano/vocal thing in January we used MKH 30s and 40s for the piano and as a fixed boom with some dialog. They sounded great on both. As far as the pad goes, we auditioned the piano mics with and without the pads, to make sure we were not having an overload problem. I don't remember the sound being different except for reduced level. So, piano isn't voice and maybe my observation is apples to oranges, but it might be that the mic you rented had a problem. Anyhow, sorry to hear about it as I know how awful after-the-fact realization can be!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:12 PM

Most condensor microphone pads use a capacitor after the capsule to reduce the input to the mic's preamp (internal pre / impeadance matching device, not the one in your board or external) by shunting some of the voltage form the capsule to ground. Since a capacitor's impedance lowers as frequency rises, my\ore high frequencies are reduced. Most manufacturers claim that this happens well above our range of hearing but...

In better mics (like am MK50) the difference should be subtle, although I have never used the pad in that mic. The problem might be in that particular mics pad circuit ie a bad cap.

In general I always try to avoid the pad if possible

Hope this helps,
Ted