Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Pre-Fader Metering problem

Hi
I use the a 002rack and pro tools 6.4 and i have a problem when i'm monitoring.I get clipping and it's not possible to lower the volume.I have uncheck the pre fader metering from operations and i still have the problem.I lowered the volume way down so i don't hear anything but the meters hit the red when i'm playing.I only plugged my guitar to the digi pre amp and i press the R button and i started playing,i saw that the signal was to hot so after that i'm trying to lower the volume meters with no luck.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Pre-Fader Metering problem

If you record via the A to D too hot and clip while digitizing... there's nothing you can do to remove the distortion -- record without overloading the mic preamps or exceeding digital full scale.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-18-2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks for replying so fast Rail.I don't speak very good english and i think you didn't understand me.
1 I'm plugging my guitar to the digi pre amp
2 I press the R button
3 I start to play and the the meters are way up so i lower the volume but the meters still stay up.I even lower the volume all the way down and i started to play again and nothing changed.I tried this with cubase sx and i didn't had any problems.When i'm lowering the meter i want the volume indicator to lower also.I din't had this problem with 6.1.1.I have uncheck the pre fader metering.I hope this makes sense.Thank you
Old 02-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for replying so fast Rail.I don't speak very good english and i think you didn't understand me.
1 I'm plugging my guitar to the digi pre amp
2 I press the R button
3 I start to play and the the meters are way up so i lower the volume but the meters still stay up.I even lower the volume all the way down and i started to play again and nothing changed.I tried this with cubase sx and i didn't had any problems.When i'm lowering the meter i want the volume indicator to lower also.I din't had this problem with 6.1.1.I have uncheck the pre fader metering.I hope this makes sense.Thank you
Where are you lowering the volume? You must lower the gain at the mic preamp -- if you can't lower it without overloading the input.. then you need to use an inline pad.. but that's highly unusual with a hi z guitar source.

Rail
Old 02-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Rail is correct. Lowering the Fader Gain in Pro Tools does not affect the recording level, only the level at which you hear the source play back, or another way to say it is, the fader gain only controls monitor levels and not recording levels. As Rail stated, you need to turn down the gain of the source or pre-amp to decrease the levels that get initially recorded into Pro Tools.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:09 PM

I lower the volume from pro tools and the gain is in normal position.I lower the volume from pro tools but the level meters stay at the same level.I even lowered the volume from pro tools way down and i start to play again but the level meter doesnt display the change in levels.Thanks for your patience Rail.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:11 PM

I don't believe you're understanding (or something's getting lost in translation).. you can't lower the level/gain inside the Pro Tools software.. you must lower it using the physical gain knob on your mic preamp... before it's recorded into the software.

Rail
Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 PM

Ok thanks Rail for your support and patience!!!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Thanks again Rail and Asa it's all clear now with your support.One more question,what is an inline pad?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:28 PM

Escape ,
They are simply attenuators, usually built in a similar casing of an XLR gender changer.
Made by Shure, Neutrik, etc..
You might want to run your "hot" instrument into a DI box with a pad (attenuator) and take the balanced out from it to your 002's microphone input.

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring