Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM
George2000 George2000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
Default SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

So I was curious... what would the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test show if I ran it on a 7200RPM Lacie D2 Thunderbolt 2 external (4TB) vs. a Samsung EVO 860 (2TB) SSD with USB 3.0 external dock vs. a Samsung EVO 860 (2TB) SSD with a Thunderbolt 2 external dock?

Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 / 32GB RAM / High Sierra

Results below

Lacie 7200RPM D2 TB 2 external: Write: 192 MB/s -- Read: 196 MB/s
Samsung EVO 860 SSD USB 3.0 external: Write: 252 MB/s -- Read: 266 MB/s
Samsung EVO 860 SSD TB 2 external: Write: 336 MB/s -- Read: 383 MB/s

Thought others might find this interesting...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 PM
BScout BScout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

Now check your Samsung usb test straight into the USB3.1gen2 ports found on the computer vs the USB3.0 or Usb 3.1gen1 port found on the dock.
__________________
Pro Tools Ult 2019.6, HDX 3, MTRX/SPQ, HD OmniMac Pro 5,1 - 3.06 GHz 12 core - macOS 10.13.6RAM 64GB, SSD 4 x 2TB, GPU GTX 980 4GB
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM
George2000 George2000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
Default Re: SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Now check your Samsung usb test straight into the USB3.1gen2 ports found on the computer vs the USB3.0 or Usb 3.1gen1 port found on the dock.
I think the 2013 Mac Pro is only usb 3.0 not 3.1 (correct me if I am wrong).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,525
Default Re: SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by George2000 View Post
I think the 2013 Mac Pro is only usb 3.0 not 3.1 (correct me if I am wrong).
According to everymac.com no 2013 Mac Pro has USB 3.1 ports but plain vanilla USB3 ports. Same for the new cheesegraters. Now one can put cards with USB 3.1 ports on them in the original cheesegraters.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:53 PM
BScout BScout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
According to everymac.com no 2013 Mac Pro has USB 3.1 ports but plain vanilla USB3 ports. Same for the new cheesegraters. Now one can put cards with USB 3.1 ports on them in the original cheesegraters.
To be technical: All USB 3.0 ports are USB 3.1 ports. They rebranded them to USB 3.1gen1 (or just USB 3.1).
The newer USB 3.1 ports (10Gbps) are USB 3.1gen2.
The USB trade group is a tricky one.

And the new Mac Pro (coming soon!) has USB 3.1gen2. If you look at everymac it or click on the USB line, it says
Quote:
USB Ports: 2 (3.0), 4 (C)*
That "4 (C)" is 4 type C ports and all type C ports are 3.1gen2 (in this case dual use Thunderbolt3 and USB 3.1gen2.) That is explained when clicked.
__________________
Pro Tools Ult 2019.6, HDX 3, MTRX/SPQ, HD OmniMac Pro 5,1 - 3.06 GHz 12 core - macOS 10.13.6RAM 64GB, SSD 4 x 2TB, GPU GTX 980 4GB
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2019, 02:14 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,525
Default Re: SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
To be technical: All USB 3.0 ports are USB 3.1 ports. They rebranded them to USB 3.1gen1 (or just USB 3.1).
The newer USB 3.1 ports (10Gbps) are USB 3.1gen2.
The USB trade group is a tricky one.

And the new Mac Pro (coming soon!) has USB 3.1gen2. If you look at everymac it or click on the USB line, it says

That "4 (C)" is 4 type C ports and all type C ports are 3.1gen2 (in this case dual use Thunderbolt3 and USB 3.1gen2.) That is explained when clicked.
All USB 3.0 ports are NOT USB 3.1 ports. While physically they may be the same connector the theoretical throughput speeds are different. USB 3.0 has 5 Gbps and 3.1 ports are double that at 10 Gbps. And not all type C ports are USB 3.1gen2. From this page: https://www.howtogeek.com/211843/usb...youll-want-it/
there's this little bit of data:
USB-C, USB 3.1, and Transfer Rates

USB 3.1 is a new USB standard. USB 3‘s theoretical bandwidth is 5 Gbps, while USB 3.1’s is 10 Gbps. That’s double the bandwidth—as fast as a first-generation Thunderbolt connector.
USB Type-C isn’t the same thing as USB 3.1, though. USB Type-C is just a connector shape, and the underlying technology could just be USB 2 or USB 3.0. In fact, Nokia’s N1 Android tablet uses a USB Type-C connector, but underneath it’s all USB 2.0—not even USB 3.0. However, these technologies are closely related. When buying devices, you’ll just need to keep your eye on the details and make sure you’re buying devices (and cables) that support USB 3.1.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2019, 02:44 PM
BScout BScout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SSD vs. 7200RPM Drive Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
All USB 3.0 ports are NOT USB 3.1 ports. While physically they may be the same connector the theoretical throughput speeds are different. USB 3.0 has 5 Gbps and 3.1 ports are double that at 10 Gbps. And not all type C ports are USB 3.1gen2. From this page: https://www.howtogeek.com/211843/usb...youll-want-it/
there's this little bit of data:
USB-C, USB 3.1, and Transfer Rates

USB 3.1 is a new USB standard. USB 3‘s theoretical bandwidth is 5 Gbps, while USB 3.1’s is 10 Gbps. That’s double the bandwidth—as fast as a first-generation Thunderbolt connector.
They are. The USB Promoter Group rebranded as I stated before. All USB3.0 are USB3.1 gen1 now. It happened in 2013. And, yes, USB3.1 gen 1 is 5Gbps. And USB3.1 gen 2 is 10Gbps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/di...en2,36941.html
Quote:
USB Type-C isn’t the same thing as USB 3.1, though. USB Type-C is just a connector shape, and the underlying technology could just be USB 2 or USB 3.0. In fact, Nokia’s N1 Android tablet uses a USB Type-C connector, but underneath it’s all USB 2.0—not even USB 3.0.
That is not what I said. I said on the new Mac Pro it is. As is explained on everymac. The Thunderbolt3 ports are dual use to USB3.1gen2.

From everymac under details:
Quote:
*By default, this Mac Pro has two USB 3 ports (USB-A up to 5 Gb/s) and four Thunderbolt 3 ports (support for Thunderbolt 3 up to 40 Gb/s and USB-C up to 10 Gb/s as well as DisplayPort). Two of the Thunderbolt 3 ports are provided by a pre-installed Apple I/O card and two are on the top of the tower case. Other connectivity can be added via PCIe cards.
__________________
Pro Tools Ult 2019.6, HDX 3, MTRX/SPQ, HD OmniMac Pro 5,1 - 3.06 GHz 12 core - macOS 10.13.6RAM 64GB, SSD 4 x 2TB, GPU GTX 980 4GB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7200rpm Iomega external drive oceanshoremusic Windows 19 12-07-2014 01:25 PM
Laptop Internal Drive (7200rpm of course) Roulette Records macOS 15 11-23-2011 09:38 PM
Can you use a USB 7200RPM drive with PT9? Miike Lee macOS 13 01-18-2011 10:37 PM
7200rpm macbook drive recommendations? will the moor 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 04-17-2009 12:31 PM
7200rpm drive for emachines 6811 ggmmss 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 6 06-11-2005 03:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com