Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Some things I\'d like to see in PT 8 HD (or 7.5!)

Hello,

First I want to say I really appreciate how digidesign has continued to make PT more composer friendly through each update. I've actually recently said goodbye to Logic for the most part (tired of the TDM incompatibilities) and started my scoring sessions in PT. PT finally feels more "musical" to me in the way that Logic has over the years. I guess if you like working in any kind of score editor you'll always stick with the other sequencers....but here are some additional features I would like to see in PT to make it a even more streamlined tool for composing on tight deadlines for the rest of us:

- track folders. Just a simple folder hierarchy system where tracks can be folded into or out of, where each folder can be solo'd or muted...this makes templates with massive amounts of predefined MIDI tracks much more managable. And would also make doing stripes for final mix downs simpler.

- mute of individual MIDI notes. right now I'm making a whole new playlist when I start mucking around with taking MIDI notes in or out but it would save me a lot of time if I could just simply mute a MIDI note like I can an audio region.

- bypass of hardware inserts. This must be possible as you can do it in Logic TDM.

These don't seem like massive feature requests but would help greatly in my day to day. Please add any other feature ideas you have that are composer centric and possibly the reason some choose the other apps over protools.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Some things I\'d like to see in PT 8 HD (or 7.5

While were at it. How about a option for real time or faster then realtime bounce? I mean i understand the reason for real time bounce.... But i work in a audio post house and rarely if ever go outside the box... i hate bouncing 20 - 30 second tv spots in real time or 5 - 60 second radios in real time. Even on My LE system at home, what percentage of LE users are using outboard comp's and eq's in insert mode? Just give us the option!!!!! One more little option box in the bounce dialog window that says real time or faster then real time. I mean we've been asking for this since version 5? wow maybe even 4? Freaking garageband has this feature, why cant TDM or LE.....
Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM

we need mute of individual MIDI notes

Grazie Digidesign !
Old 02-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
While were at it. How about a option for real time or faster then realtime bounce? I mean i understand the reason for real time bounce.... But i work in a audio post house and rarely if ever go outside the box... i hate bouncing 20 - 30 second tv spots in real time or 5 - 60 second radios in real time. Even on My LE system at home, what percentage of LE users are using outboard comp's and eq's in insert mode? Just give us the option!!!!! One more little option box in the bounce dialog window that says real time or faster then real time. I mean we've been asking for this since version 5? wow maybe even 4? Freaking garageband has this feature, why cant TDM or LE.....
It won't happen in TDM as it stands now because TDM is a REAL TIME architecture by design. I suppose it's theretically possible in LE but then you'd be splitting the product features in a way that's not perceived as "better" for the superior product. Anyway - the point is, not for TDM anytime soon.

Every time this argument comes up many people seem to chime in that they like the real-time bounce because it gives them a final chance to listen to the product AS IS and make sure there's no problems.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM

it is possible. Digi is lazy...LOL no kidding... ok correct me if im wrong but TDM refers to time domain/division multiplexing. Using each sample from each track in sequence to reach high speed throughput through an audio output device i.e. the i/o. as i understand it DSP processing is going on all the time via the dsp chips... if the audio was being processed in real time the chips would be inactive while the transport is stopped. but its not.. so this processing is happening all the time. why is it not feasible to process all the plug ins either via the on board DSP or the Host processor which already works effectively as shown by LE and audiosuite processing. Again i may be totally off but i'm just a curious party.... I know a little about TDM theory from when i worked as a fiber splicer but that was years ago so i could be smoking crack....LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM

if you process an audiosuite plug such as maxim you can see this process. it goes through the whole song in faster then real time and you see the meters moving simulating the audio processing taking place
Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
if you process an audiosuite plug such as maxim you can see this process. it goes through the whole song in faster then real time and you see the meters moving simulating the audio processing taking place
But as you said, that's Audiosuite and not TDM.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM

I'll have to agree with artguiljr, I think it is possible to bounce in Faster than real time even with TDM. Even if it was just 2X speed I think people would be happy. I do think Digi is draggin' their feet on this one.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM

How about a "plug in 'well' window" (maybe Command 6 on Numeric Keypad?) that could hold your favorite 25 plugs or some such (5 x 5), that you could then drag plugs onto the channels you want and it would be mono it you "left click dragged" and stereo if you "right click dragged."

Or perhaps it would be a 'modifier drag' if this conflicts too much with contextual menus. The 'well' would hold aliases for fav plugs.

I currently do this by having 5 inactive channels with my favorite plugs, but as I run out of DSP, it is sometimes too much to make a track active to option drag the plugs.

Just a thought. No, I have NOT made a feature request. Should I?

Am I just lazy? Should I work harder on my templates and "import session data" resources. Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
While were at it. How about a option for real time or faster then realtime bounce?
On most of the non-realtime bounces I´ve received from composers so far I had to spend hours pecil-tooling out digital clicks and glitches. I hope this is never going to become reality in PT. Last minute deliveries, through everything to the poor music-editor and have him edit all ther clicks away. No thanks. I now budget an extra day for click-removal of logic-bounces.
Great time-saver isn´t it?

frank.