Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Has anyone tried HDX with Magma ExpressBox 3T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbrzkdm007 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread...
I have been searching for definitive answers about the use of a HDX card in the Magma ExpressBox3T and if this is working fine. For some reason the ProTools 10.3.2 readme file says that HDX cards aren't qualified for use in the expansion chassis. This seems to contradict some of Avid's own videos and other users reports on the web. Does anybody know what issues they are referring to? Can somebody using PT 10.3.2 and a HDX card in the Magma 3T chime about how their system is performing? Is there any difference when using a HD Native card with the Magma 3T? I am about to go down that route with a Mac mini.
Thanks for any help/suggestions and user feedback.
I just looked through the 10.3.2 readme and can find nothing that says an HDX card is not supported in the Magma Express Box 3T. I believe there was an issue that the HDX cards weren't supported in the older Avid branded version of the Magma expansion (the 7 slot one IIRC) but that was mentioned in older versions of PT10.

QAPLA!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM

I was referring to this page:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...-3-2-Downloads

where it says in the middle:

Pro Tools HDX
HDX hardware is not supported in an Expansion Chassis at this time. Go to HDX System Requirements for more information.

When you click on the HDX System Requirements link you go to a 10.2 readme where it says that the Magma 3T isn't supported. So maybe this link is outdated.
When I get my new Mac mini I'm going to experiment with the Magma 3T and the HDX card. I just wanted to hear real life user reports of working systems as I found some conflicting info on different websites.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbrzkdm007 View Post
I was referring to this page:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...-3-2-Downloads

where it says in the middle:

Pro Tools HDX
HDX hardware is not supported in an Expansion Chassis at this time. Go to HDX System Requirements for more information.

When you click on the HDX System Requirements link you go to a 10.2 readme where it says that the Magma 3T isn't supported. So maybe this link is outdated.
When I get my new Mac mini I'm going to experiment with the Magma 3T and the HDX card. I just wanted to hear real life user reports of working systems as I found some conflicting info on different websites.
If what's on the page you link to is right then that's in apparent conflict with the actual readme that is with 10.3.2 and that's where I got my info from. And if you look at this YouTube video from NAB 2012 Tom Graham is talking with Gil Gowing about using the Express Box 3T with an HDX card through a 100 foot Thunderbolt cable to a MacBook Pro. So we have to wonder what's the story?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_jB...re=uploademail

QAPLA!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Gil is taking a HDX2 around in a T3 with a laptop for demos. (I say it at RSPE back in August)

So maybe it will be official in 10.4

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 PM

I made use of the "complimentary Avid Support Code" after registering a new licence for PT10 and I got an answer from the ironically called "Digidesign-Avid Customer Success" people (so I guess the Digidesign moniker still exists?). Well there wasn't much success here yet.
My question:
"Is the HDX PCIe card compatible with the Magma Expressbox 3T when used with a Thunderbolt enabled Mac (mini, imac etc) under ProTools 10.3.2? In the PT 10.3 readme file there is a note that the HDX card is not supported in the expansion chassis are there are "issues" however some users and videos on the web seem to indicate that this combination is working. What is the definitive answer?"

Their answer:
"Hi,
Currently HDX cards are not supported in any chassis. This is the definitive answer. I don't have any information about what may work or chassis qualification is in progress. The best thing you can do is keep your eye on the compatibility online in the knowledgebase.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...n&DocType=1083
Best regards,
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support"

Wasn't too enlightened with their response esp. since the document listed is pretty old and refers to version 10.2 so I followed up with something like "your clinician Gil is going around with a Magma/Macbook Pro setup in an official capacity and plus there's a Youtube video of Avid touting this setup." What gives? Also, is the HD native card supported with an external chassis?
See what I get. Not trying to be a pain here just want some answers because it would be great if I get a viable/more compact replacement system for my honking Mac Pro.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM

I have been using a Magma EB 3T w/ HDX 2 for 3 weeks have no issues with my MBPr
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Thanks for your info!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:52 PM

V3 (tb3) is still not on the compatibility chart but both Sweetwater and Thomann say it is compatible...
what is the truth?