Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Error 6085 underflow Windows 7 PT9

Set the number of processors in the PT Playback Engine to half and see if that helps.

Also, have you tried higher buffers? For some USB audio interface setups, Win7 64 bit seems not to allow running the same session on as low of a buffer as XP; Win7 is more robust in that regard. I think the underflow error is related to data not being read as fast as it is being processed between PT and the audio interface. This causes PT (or the audio interface... Not sure which one) to choke because it can't keep up with the rapid buffer refill needs at the current buffer. Or something like that. A higher buffer may help.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I now eliminated all but 2 of those partitions. Still having the problem.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM

i feel your pain i have no answers i am also having MAJOR problems i wish you the best of luck! im about to lose my mind
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Yeah, nicnac, this is driving me crazy. I was so excited to use PT9, mostly for the delay compensation and the extra tracks and my machine chokes at like 10 plugins. It's almost useless. I am pretty frustrated. I am thinking on what to change. XP with PT 7.4 runs like a dream. Tons of plugins. So I know it's something with either the OS or PT9 or both. Maybe how the OS deals with the hardware...I don't know.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM

Anyone with any other ideas? I'm thinking it has to do with UAD cards...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Hey there.

I found this thread because I experienced the same issues with Windows 7 Pro and PT 9.

It seemed that the problem for me was exacerbated when I scrolled or activated the option for the timeline to scroll during playback. So, I plugged in an external monitor using my laptop's hd video output. Voila!! The buffer underflow issues disappeared.

My laptop has an Nvidia graphics processing card. I moved the ProTools App to the secondary display. I was even able to scroll the playback display -- no more buffer errors.

It's only been a couple of hours but I wanted to share this possible solution right away.

Martin
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 AM

Hi there. I also experienced this buffer underflow issue, but in the end it turned out that it was the bug in the SansAmp plugin that was causing this. I am not saying that Pro Tools will be running smoothly on my computer in the future, but at least I can continue working with the mix tutorial session I have been working on (until I run into the next issue ).

After I ran into that issue I did a lot of research on it. My main finding was that you can never tell why exactly those "buffer underflow" and "running out of CPU power" error messages pop up. I even read about a dying HDD that was causing this. I see you have already done the fixes suggested, so I had a look at your Sandra report.

First thing I would suggest, is installing Win7 and Pro Tools on your SAMSUNG HD753LJ as it has 32MB cache rather than 8MB. I know that reinstalling is a PITA, but if I had two different HDDs I would always install the OS on the better one.

Before going through the painful process of reinstalling you should do some research on whether or not your mainboard supports AHCI. Your disc controller is in IDE mode, while for Windows 7 AHCI mode is recommended.

I am not that much of an expert regarding those hardware issues and it is also hard for a non-native speaker to write about this techy stuff, so please follow the links below to learn about AHCI and how you can probably change the SATA mode on your computer:

http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm going to try them out.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 AM

Hi, I have had the same problem,

I have Trayed everything, My computer is a brand new Sony Vaio, 8 gig Ram, 500gb HD, As soon as I up graded from my old computers 7.4 to this NEWER and MORE POWERFUL Machine, I started the Geting the 6085 error, I have tryed everything you name it, the MBOX, Replacing the chord, Getting the most skilled pro tool users I know to try and fix it( they couldnt), Downloaded all known updates. still no Joy, I Tryed every play back Buffer setting, the amount of processes running.

The strange thing is the I has know problem running a big session when its running off my computers sound card. So if its not, The computer, the Mbox, The usb cable, play back engine settings updates..... I have been trying to fix this problim for over 4 months, its really starting to get to me,

Reuben