Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 AM

Default LE 6.4 as MMC slave?

Hi wonder if anyone can help.

I have PT6.4 LE on OS10.3.9 and I want the transport to respond to MMC sent from Cubase on a PC.

I can sync the two up via MTC but wanted to be able to use transport controls from cubase to operate transport on PT.

I have setup cubase to output MMC to correct port, and checked the MMC box in PT.

However, when I go to the transport bar (transport=...) the only option available is Pro Tools. Everything else is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: LE 6.4 as MMC slave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Hi wonder if anyone can help.

I have PT6.4 LE on OS10.3.9 and I want the transport to respond to MMC sent from Cubase on a PC.

I can sync the two up via MTC but wanted to be able to use transport controls from cubase to operate transport on PT.

I have setup cubase to output MMC to correct port, and checked the MMC box in PT.

However, when I go to the transport bar (transport=...) the only option available is Pro Tools. Everything else is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Hi,

There are two ways Pro Tools can operate with MMC:

1) Pro Tools can be the "master" device
2) Pro Tools can be the "slave" device

It sounds like you are setup as a "slave" device. In this configuration, it is correct to have "transport=" only have the option of Pro Tools.

Stepping back a moment, if you want to drive the configuration (that is Pro Tools and Cubase) from Cubase, one easy way of doing this is to setup Cubase to generate MTC and then have Pro Tools chase MTC. In this configuration, you are not using MMC. You just need to have Pro Tools MTC Reader port setup properly and then put Pro Tools "online". To put Pro Tools online, you click the "online" button in the transport window. In the Pro Tools Session Setup Window, you will the MTC rolling/counting in the "Incoming Timecode" section (top right of the window). When Pro Tools is online and MTC is rolling, Pro Tools should lock playback to the MTC source (Cubase).

There are more complex ways of setting up MMC such that you drive or slave to another MMC device. I expect you can avoid these by having Pro Tools chase MTC.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Re: LE 6.4 as MMC slave?

Hi Many thanks for your reply.

I have protools working fine slaving to MTC from Cubase but I particularly wanted it to slave to MMC. I find the lock time from MTC very slow on PT and despite changing freewheel settings I can't seem to improve this. I also want to be able to shuttle PT from the cubase transport. I currently use PT to play back Video and also handle some audio tasks with Cubase handling the main compositional tasks. It would be great to able to shuttle cubase around and have the pictures chase ....

Is this possible? I've had two Cubase machines setup this way before and it worked very well indeed for my purposes.

Many thanks

Matthew