Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Default sorry...another WAVES post

i sat back and read through all the banter over waves all thru the DUC here for the past year or so. i knew eventually one day it was gonna be my turn to get bit by waves... well, my time has come. we own waves 4.0 (or should i say "subcribe" to it, as i am painfully learning). now with a new computer and a new system drive, we need a response to the new challenge for disk authorization. and of course, i can't get a new disk authorization, because they wont give them out anymore. the only option is an ilok authorization. but wait, if i want an ilok authorization, i have to buy the waves update plan. so after paying quite a bit for the gold tdm package back in june of 2004, we have to pay almost 500 just to get an ilok authorization for software we already own. that is insane. we don't want to upgrade, all we want is to use the software we paid for. wow. if i got a new microphone to replace the one that fell in someone's coffee, i would freak if i were told that i would have to pay 500 to avalon in order to use it with their mic pre i have owned for 2 years. this is nuts...

sorry. i know this has been beat to death. i know i am repeating what many others have already said. now i am on the hunt for waves-alternatives so i can have a stash of plugs that i know i will be able to use long term. if anyone has any suggestions or can point me to a waves-less tdm thread, i am all ears.

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 01-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: sorry...another WAVES post

Don't be sorry for ranting on Waves... WE HEAR YOU!

The voice needs to become louder. Digi should shime in too!

After all, Waves is causing others to rethink their hardware upgrades!!!

My plugins cost more than my system!

You don't have many options to keep running except to put the old hard drive in the new comp and use your old codes. And don't upgrade to PT 7 (now do you see why Digi should be concerned!).

You can also keep an eye on ebay. Sometime Waves plugs go for rediculously low prices.

As long as you have a valid license to use what you have, there should be little concern with how you keep it functional.
At one time, Waves told me, via email, that WUP was not required for reauthorization.
So I went away satisfied... Silly me!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 PM

I have avoided the following Waves Products I would like to own them but I don't care how good they are.
G.T.R, Tune & Breath, Waves APA, Z-Noise.
If Waves dropped WUP. I would pick all of these up tomorrow.
I will never buy another Waves Product nor will I recomend Waves products to any clients ever again until WUP is gone!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:12 PM

This topic should be kept alive until the relevant parties get the message. I, for one, will spend my "WUP" dollars to replace the Waves plugins I now cannot use. Extorting money from your customers is not good business unless you're Don Corleone. I would go as far as saying what Waves is doing is illegal. Refusing authorization for a product you have paid for until you pony up "insurance" cash? What a joke!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 AM

I have been helping someone set up 2 new HD studios recently. Thay had included 2 Waves bundles in their original plan which was the only thing I told tham to lose. I explained the WUP system and worked out alternatives for their system - they were very happy to have avoided the ongoing cost. I have also myself now dumped WUP and will let my plugs 'expire' as I work on alternatives.

I'm still amazed Waves continue with this even with so much bad feeling around surely it's time to think again? Digi can you have a quiet word with them?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 AM

If only someone would offer a TDM MS-Matrix. It´s such a simple DSP process I can´t understand why only waves makes one.

It´s also such a standard feature I wich Digi would implement an MS matrix into PT.

frank.

P.S.: yes, I know how to make an MS matrix just with the PT mixer. But it´s so much more convenient with a plug.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:11 AM

MCDSP has been the easiest to deal with in this regard (other than the one issue with the Massive pack I heard complaints about). I have owned FB, AC, and MC2000 thru 3 major ProTools enhancements (5,6,7) and never been asked for a nickel. The money should come from new customers, not by holding existing customers hostage.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I'm still amazed Waves continue with this even with so much bad feeling around surely it's time to think again? Digi can you have a quiet word with them?
I have a feeling Waves have backed themselves into a financial corner with WUP. They continue to push it to generate revenue, and if they suddenly dropped it, there would be a horde of recently awakened WUP-Zombies at their door with torches and pitchforks demanding a refund.

Where's their graceful exit? How do they save face (and money) if it's eliminated?

Their only option may be to gradually lower the fees (as they have started to do), offer long-term options (which they have started to do), then offer a one-time "WUP-for-life" option (but who would believe that? ), then start offering "WUP-grades" where you get the upgrade in software for a reduced fee, but no further "support", and then quietly discontinue it.

The process could take years.

Or they could declare bankruptcy, the principals could sell the assets to their spouses, then overhaul the system under "new management."

Ray
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I will never buy another Waves Product nor will I recomend Waves products to any clients ever again until WUP is gone!
Agree.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-18-2006, 12:59 PM

wow... i see we ALL share the same frustrations. i knew it couldn't be just me. i'd love to hear someone speak a positive view on waves and this whole WUP thing, but i can't imagine there is anyone who can honestly say they love waves and the great service they provide.

this is it, no more waves for my system or anyone i know, EVER. i just lost an entire day of billable hours xferring my new rockin' system drive back to the old system drive, just so i can use my old disk authorization. what crap just to use sw i already own. now i am stuck with a 40 gig system drive just to use waves. slowly but surely i will replace the plugs i use, and mark my words, there will be a day soon where i will be free from the evil clutches of the waves empire! wow i am excited just dreaming about it.

!!!WAVES BUYERS BEWARE!!! DONT LET HISTORY REPEAT ITSELF!!! TOTAL DAW FREEDOM BEGINS WITH YOU BY SAYING NO TO WAVES !!!

and yes, i certainly approve this message

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2