Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Default How lame is this lack of Leopard Support

This is starting to get ridiculous now don't you think?

C'mon Digi
Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Re: How lame is this lack of Leopard Support

Well, on one hand I agree, but on the other, throw some blame at Apple for constantly re-inventing OSX.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM

And now I am reading that 10.5.3 will be released in April or May!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 PM

It is certainly getting interesting, that's for sure.....

Dare I say that Apple must be salivating at the prospect that an entire industry is yet to get hooked on its new OS. I'm surprised they haven't simply done the work for Digi by this point.

The holidays have been over for some time now, maybe they can hire some seasonal employees.....
Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM

While I to am waiting for PT compatibility I would like to see Apple get there sh t together. If Apple is working on there third update they must be aware of some serious issues with there OS. I Apple can't get there act together how can we expect Digi to get a version that works with it if they keep changing the game. After all, I would rather wait for something that is going to work every time I start my computer rather than it being a crap shoot. My PT 7.3 on my IMAC has always worked and I have yet to optimize it. Thats the kind of reliability I want and expect. Just my opinion.
002 R
MOTU 2408 MK.3
PRESONUS DIGIMAX
MIDAS 320
Tascam DM 24
Ramsa DM 7
EVENT 20/20
Way to much stuff
Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 PM

You can't really blame apple on this one. Digidesign hasn't even given an official release for 10.4.11 for LE users. And Tiger has been pretty stable for quite some time. Moreover, I'm a Apple software/hardware technician and even though apple has been updating Leopard. Programs have been able to run in Leopard, some with more issues then others.
Not only that, if Digidesign can get the HD working on Leopard I can't see a reason why LE isn't there yet.

My 2 cents

Mac Pro5,1 2x2.24 12-Core, ATI HD5770,
OSX 10.11, 16GB RAM
Apollo Quad Firewire, UAD2 Solo & Quad
NI Maschine v2
PT2018
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 PM

apple have just updated their firmware i can no longer run pro tools smoothly, my fault for updating but wanted to let others know who haven't updated the firmware not to, but thats just my opinion
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 PM

apple have just updated their firmware i can no longer run pro tools smoothly, my fault for updating but wanted to let others know who haven't updated the firmware not to, but thats just my opinion
Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
You can't really blame apple on this one.
Yes we can. Read up a bit, you'll see why.

Quote:
Digidesign hasn't even given an official release for 10.4.11 for LE users.
Would you prefer they work on that instead of Leopard support? Not to mention if you took the time to read the compatibility pages, you'd see Digi doesn't "discourage" using 10.4.11, it's just not officially "qualified" - there's a difference.

Quote:
I'm a Apple software/hardware technician and even though apple has been updating Leopard. Programs have been able to run in Leopard, some with more issues then others.
Not only that, if Digidesign can get the HD working on Leopard I can't see a reason why LE isn't there yet.
Last time I checked, a technician is a lot different than a programmer. As far as HD vs. LE... you do realize they're quite different in a lot of ways right? And I'm sure you're also aware that Digi only got HD working on ONE model of Leopard Macs (2008 Mac Pros), older Mac Pros that shipped with Leopard still can't run PT, nor can any other model than has been upgraded from 10.4. to 10.5.

Listen, Digi has stated time and time again in several threads now that there is an issue with Apple's OS that prevents them from doing what they need to to get PT working with 10.5. They are working WITH APPLE to fix the problem, but until APPLE gets their POS-OS fixed, not much Digi can really do about it (I'm paraphrasing obviously. Digi didn't call Leopard a POS-OS, that's more my own personal opinion of Leopard juxtaposed on the problems Digi is having with it).

Anyway, here's to hoping 10.5.3 gets them over the hump, and that people wise up and stop shoveling all the blame at Digi on this one.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 AM

Slim,

We can't throw this on Apple completely. If I'm reading correctly, by Digi's own admission, the main reason they're in this pickle is because Digi is trying to wrap twenty year old code around OSX. Seems the Chickens have come home to roost...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=&fpart=4&vc=1

Quote:
This is something that needs to be pointed out - Pro Tools is NOTHING like other applications. DAE is based on TDM architecture (and LE is based off the HD code...), which no other software manufacturer uses. They're either using ASIO or Core Audio, which are easier to update for OS compatibility.

Not that I'm trying to make excuses - just hoping to help everyone understand why it takes a little longer for us.

Well then rewrite Protools to be more native friendly because it sounds like the current Protools native format is a road map to failure since native is the future and you'll potentially loose market share down the road with missed deadlines and also costs yourself more in software development as it probably already does than the competition.

The first reason that we don't is - you can't! Not for TDM/HD hardware at least.

And, believe it or not, the high-end studios still really like TDM/HD. Native may be the future for mid to entry level, but it's still very much a fixture in the post market.

With that said - efforts are in the works to make LE more friendly on native systems. As stonesinapond said, though, we're dealing with 20+ years and millions of lines of code. It's not going to happen overnight, but we're working on it...

--------------------
Digidesign Tech Support

Hasn't HD got compatibility already though? not trying to add fuel but just curious, is le more complex than HD
secondly does this mean that only your DAE codes need adressing and that your easier to develop ASIO/Core Audio drivers are complient?

To the first question - yes, it's been qualified first and, yes, LE is more complicated in some ways - in this case it's because it's tied much more tightly to OS performance, especially with the firewire and USB protocols.

[/QUOTE]