Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-15-2018, 07:02 AM

Default Can't drag WAV files into Serum

I was trying to drag a WAV file into Serum to build a wavetable with Serum open on an instrument track in PT (2018.7) I tried doing it using Workspace, I dragged the file from Workspace to a track and tried to do it from the the track. I tried copy paste. I tried to drag directly from Windows browser...no go in any way.

I can do it easily with Serum hosted in Reason or Reaper, but not in Pro Tools? Is this normal? I thought workspace was meant to allow us to drag files into our VI's in PT?

Old 09-15-2018, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Can't drag WAV files into Serum

I've heard that dragging audio files into Pro Tools was a bug and it was fixed a while ago, that's why you can't do it with Structure free exactly as in the old tutorials. Does Serum have a browser you can use to navigate to the file?
Old 09-16-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I've heard that dragging audio files into Pro Tools was a bug and it was fixed a while ago, that's why you can't do it with Structure free exactly as in the old tutorials. Does Serum have a browser you can use to navigate to the file?

Not that I can see. I've looked at several video tutorials and all them do the drag and drop...but, of course, none of them are using Pro Tools to host Serum either.

You are correct that we can no longer drag and drop audio files directly into Structure...you have to do it using Structure's browser. I was hoping there's a way to do it with Serum or that I was overlooking something obvious.

Its kind of a pain to not be able to do this inside PT. Be nice if Avid could figure out a way to allow it without the problems that caused them to drop it in the first place, which were, if I recall, inherent with RTAS. Surely there's a way to do it without destablizing things. ALl the other DAWs seem to have no issues doing it. And we can drag/drop wave files from the Workspace onto an audio track, so why not into a VI or Sampler?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Its kind of a pain to not be able to do this inside PT. Be nice if Avid could figure out a way to allow it without the problems that caused them to drop it in the first place, which were, if I recall, inherent with RTAS. Surely there's a way to do it without destablizing things. ALl the other DAWs seem to have no issues doing it. And we can drag/drop wave files from the Workspace onto an audio track, so why not into a VI or Sampler?
It would make our lives easier.

About Serum, have you tried asking them directly? (Twitter is usually faster than a support ticket).
Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
It would make our lives easier.

About Serum, have you tried asking them directly? (Twitter is usually faster than a support ticket).

Yeah, I'm going to post an inquiry on the Xfer forum today. I asked her first hoping someone might know.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Well, it turns out it really isn't possible to just drag and drop a wave file into Serum (or any other VI for that matter) in PT. With Serum, however, there is an "Import" option, and you can navigate from that to get the audio file you want. A couple extra steps, but at least it can be done.