How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 PM

Default Re: HDX vs Native Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
But one thing Avid does that others don't, is guarantee track counts, and this is one reason they can do it.

TH
Guaranteed track count is very different than the actual ability to playback the audio on the track. This old argument needs to be put to rest. Audio streaming is dependent on the hard drive and CPU, not the DSP on the cards. 256 tracks on my HD Native system only takes a mere 1% of my CPU(and it's guaranteed), same with my HDX system. Both will only playback the amount of audio in those tracks that my drive and CPU can handle.

Only when we start to add plug-ins things start to change. Guaranteed track count doesn't mean a system can actually playback and stream all the audio populated within those tracks. This was old digidesign marketing from back in the day that was simply untrue when inspected.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No you don't have the per track input monitoring green "I" button being referred to here.

Darryl
Yes, I do. Here's a screenshot.

Francisco

Latest (subscription) Pro Tools Ultimate on Windows 10 Pro x64
Mbox 3 Pro + Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Asus Prime 299X Deluxe
Intel Core i9-7940X 4.3 Ghz (14 cores / 28 threads)
Ram 8 x 16GB each (128 GB total) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3400 MHz
Dual Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB (OS and WIP)
2 x Seagate Barracuda Pro 10TB mirrored for archive and backup
Asus/Nvidia GTX 1080 TI with a single 4K monitor Dell P2715Q
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM

Default HDX vs Native Comparison

Yes but because have HD software or CPTK...

Darryl
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No you don't have the per track input monitoring green "I" button being referred to here (unless you have HD software or CPTK). Neither can you track at very low latencies with plugins (you can with some native plugins if not using the Mbox mixer or you can use the Mbox mixer with effects but neither are the same--but if that is all you need it's fine).

Darryl
Oh, you edited the post. Yes, I have CPTK, that must be it.

In 90% of the cases, all I need is reverb and delay, which I can use via sends with Low Latency Monitoring with not perceptible latency at all (since the source is at zero latency and any latency on reverb or delay while tracking with a 256 or 128 samples buffer is simply not noticeable).

In another 5% of the cases I may need guitar amp emulations, like cabs or distortion, which works very well at 128 or 256 samples buffer. So far I haven't had a guitar player that notices that latency while playing.

Also, I'm talking about recording at 96 Khz most of the time, which means even lower latency at those buffer settings than at 48 or 44.1 Khz.

Francisco

Latest (subscription) Pro Tools Ultimate on Windows 10 Pro x64
Mbox 3 Pro + Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Asus Prime 299X Deluxe
Intel Core i9-7940X 4.3 Ghz (14 cores / 28 threads)
Ram 8 x 16GB each (128 GB total) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3400 MHz
Dual Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB (OS and WIP)
2 x Seagate Barracuda Pro 10TB mirrored for archive and backup
Asus/Nvidia GTX 1080 TI with a single 4K monitor Dell P2715Q
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman
But one thing Avid does that others don't, is guarantee track counts, and this is one reason they can do it.

TH
I'm not here to bash ProTools, we use and make money from ProTools along with other applications that best get a given job done. We work in large television productions which sometimes require ProTools, sometimes not. All that is to say I'm not flaming anything - I'm speaking from (long) experience.

The old bit of "guaranteed track count" simply isn't valid. Nice marketing buzz but not accurate. HDX's added dsp is nice but it does not guarantee I can run the session I want playing back every track I'd like.

Quote:
always need 128 I/O or 64 I/O???...I can see 64 I/O, but not 128 In AND OUt.
We do large television productions with large multitrack counts. Our latest workstations have 192 in and out because that's what folks are looking for, with more sessions surpassing the 128 mark. Not that it's always necessary...

Hugh
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Guaranteed track count is very different than the actual ability to playback the audio on the track. This old argument needs to be put to rest. Audio streaming is dependent on the hard drive and CPU, not the DSP on the cards. 256 tracks on my HD Native system only takes a mere 1% of my CPU(and it's guaranteed), same with my HDX system. Both will only playback the amount of audio in those tracks that my drive and CPU can handle.

Only when we start to add plug-ins things start to change. Guaranteed track count doesn't mean a system can actually playback and stream all the audio populated within those tracks. This was old digidesign marketing from back in the day that was simply untrue when inspected.

Shane
Really good point. So it makes one wonder....why does anyone buy HDX then? For the low latency ability to track with plug ins? That's a lot of money for one feature...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 AM

Default HDX vs Native Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Really good point. So it makes one wonder....why does anyone buy HDX then? For the low latency ability to track with plug ins? That's a lot of money for one feature...
That's a nice feature - all under 1 roof - no secondary program - it's really the Cadillac version - I myself have to go to Focusrite and mix my headphone sends from there - sans plugs - meh
It's definitely more affordable than a HDX card/interface combo
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Not even having to think about latency and HEAT. Two features that come in super handy ALL of the time with a DSP based system. The best workflow is one that is all about creating music and not about creating workarounds.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Not even having to think about latency and HEAT. Two features that come in super handy ALL of the time with a DSP based system. The best workflow is one that is all about creating music and not about creating workarounds.
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM

It's the old chestnut once again. That being that a DSP based system combined with Native processing power will always outpower a strictly Native based system. It's really just commen sense.