Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-07-2020, 07:19 AM
Avid

Default Re: Control Surface v. Mouse and Keyboard

It depends on what you are mixing. If you have a deadline and are mixing TV or Film with 100's of tracks being able to balance more than one thing at a time greatly speeds things up.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
It depends on what you are mixing. If you have a deadline and are mixing TV or Film with 100's of tracks being able to balance more than one thing at a time greatly speeds things up.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

Amen to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2020, 07:36 AM

Update:

I've downloaded the Control App to an iPad and been learning what it does. I'm leaning now toward a combination of it and an Artist Mix to have rotary control of plugin parameters and of course, the faders.

Do you know if the Artist mix encoders will work the plugin controls on the Control App?
Old 02-07-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Beckwith View Post
Do you know if the Artist mix encoders will work the plugin controls on the Control App?
Yep. In Insert mode the Artist Mix will spill a plug-in on the encoders. You can even flip to faders. Occasionally I have two plug-ins on encoders at the same time, one on S3, and the other on Dock. You could probably pull off the same trick with Artist Mix and the Control app.

Everyone works differently, but if I had a choice between Artist Mix and Dock, I would go with Dock. Big wheel, dedicated Punch Preview, more soft keys, sturdier design, easier to reach knobs... all of that more valuable than 7 faders.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
IMO the biggest issue with control surfaces in a modern workflow is more in the implementation/support department, then in value of one in a raw sense.

Consider an S3. If it had full surface plugin mapping, you could map an EQ so you have gain on the fader, freq on the first knob row, and q on the top. You could have 5-6 bands and still have a lot of surface left.

If then you could also store a channel strip preset plus mapping, to where you could also map your favorite gate, comp, and even put some sends with send pans etc all on one "channel mode" flip of the surface. Then throw in macros, layouts, vca spill, and a small enough surface that you can stay in the sweet spot (things it has now) and IMO you would have something really useful.

But can you do all that? No.
Custom mapping on the S3 would be great. But even without it, your muscle memory of where the parameters fall is learned quickly and Eucon is snappy, so it's all working fine. Most of what you describe is here now with S3/Dock.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Custom mapping on the S3 would be great. But even without it, your muscle memory of where the parameters fall is learned quickly and Eucon is snappy, so it's all working fine. Most of what you describe is here now with S3/Dock.
For me with say synths, there is no real muscle memory when cutoff is on fader/knob 3 for one synth. And Page 14 fader/knob 7 for the next.

Horses for courses I guess, and I can see how that's true for you and likely moreso also for post, but on my end that type of feature isn't really 'luxury'.

For me, where there is at least great plugin mapping, track sync, great hardware metering, and still control of fader level and 3 auxes, the Softube Console 1 is more useful overall (in a daw that supports it) than my Dock+mix.

I can certainly see that not being a good option for post though...
Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 AM

Page 14! Okay, yep. That's a lot of parameters. In post I rarely have to go past page 3.

You do need Custom Mapping.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Beckwith View Post
Update:

I've downloaded the Control App to an iPad and been learning what it does. I'm leaning now toward a combination of it and an Artist Mix to have rotary control of plugin parameters and of course, the faders.

I would do dock plus control over mix as well.

You can put 8 plugins parameters on the mix, but they wont sync to the control app page you've selected. Only the dock will do that, which makes sense because they work together.

To access plugins on the mix you will have to hit the insert button on there, then select the plugin, then page through the parameters (8 at a time). And you can choose to have them on the faders or the knobs via flip. This works independently of what the control app is doing.

The dock/control is nice because it works with the control app and shows 4 pages of parameters on the control and you can select which you want to edit with the knobs.

Do you use automation preview mode (PT|U only)? Are you doing music or post? You might also check out an old command|8 along with the control app.