Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Default For what its worth

Hello all! i am new to both this forum and Pro Tools but i wanted to take a moment and thank all of you active users that have over the years posted such helpful information especially in-regards to system compatibility (Motherboard/Processor/Video cards that are stable).

A little back info here my son who just turned 13 has been showing ALOT of interest in the music production and recording side of pro audio. This is something that sort of runs in the family as my Uncle is a bluesman and had a "home" recording studio (first reel to reel then adat now tabletop digital portastudio) and i had a pc based (Emagic Logic and then Cubase) home studio up until about 5 years ago.

So my son and i agreed that i would start saving the money for a new home studio and he would improve his grades and that all has come to fruition this month. Now i initially started designing an AMD/Cubase rig as that is what i am most familiar with but quickly learned that Pro Tools what a must have on his wish list. So i still configured a blazing fast AMD rig and purchased a brand new in the box Digi 002 Console for a great price. Luckily i had not yet pulled the trigger on the AMD based system yet and ran across these very forums looking for Pro Tools tutorials as i am unfamiliar with it.

It was in this very forum that i learned just how picky Pro Tools is in respect to system components and started re designing a new Intel rig based on recommendations from here. I find myself very excited about this new home studio and the quality time it will bring my son and i but profoundly disenfranchised with Avid as a company. I pored over their website for a week straight before coming back to these boards and getting the answers i needed to build my rig.

I have been so frustrated by the lack of compatibility information on Avids behalf and the fact that there are so many compatibility issues to start with that i would have scrapped the whole idea and went back to a Cubase setup had i not already ordered the 002 and it was too late to cancel. With that being said i have built what should be a solid and stable Intel rig and i hope beyond all hope that Pro Tools 10 and the Digi 002 blows me away! Either way i just want to send out a huge thank you to all the active users on this forum that have posted such great info over the years!
Motherboard:Asus P6X58D Premium
Processor:Intel i7-980 3.33 GHz Six Core
Ram:24 GB DDR3 (3x 8 GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 MHz
System Drive:Samsung 250 GB SATA III solid state drive
Audio Drive: 1 Terabyte WD Black