Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Splitting 2 track (dual mono), & track & clip renaming

I imported 2 track .AIFF-C audio files, placing on their own tracks. The source is dual mono, so I did this:

With all tracks (already) selected, do Track > Split into mono. This will leave you with the original stereo track, and two mono tracks, L & R.

Using the command key, select all the original stereo tracks and all the .R (right) tracks, then right click and delete them all. You'll get this warning:

"Active clips were found on some or all of the 52 tracks selected. Do you want to delete these tracks?"

Click "Delete".

Remove the ".L" from each track name.

I noticed that in the clip bin, the original clips show up with " (Stereo)" on the end. After renaming the clips (on the tracks) with .R, the clip bin then shows the track name (without (Stereo) or .L), and then the clip name with .R on it. I think I'm good to go now, but wanted to check.

Part of the reason for my renaming was simply to leave out any references to stereo on the production tracks. Maybe I could have avoided even splitting the tracks into mono, but I thought since they were dual mono, I might get +3 increase (and the tracks were already peak limited).

On import, I did not see an option for importing only the L or R side of a track.

thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Splitting 2 track (dual mono), & track & clip renaming

If you consolidate one of the mono tracks, it will create a new mono file. Then you could delete the stereo track and other mono track, remove the stereo file from your session, and rename the new mono audio and track (to remove the .L or .R). That's how I do it, anyway.

I kind of wish that, like the Split into Mono option, there was a Combine into Mono option to do this sort of thing automatically. Usually there's no sense in having a stereo file with mono audio where L&R are identical.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB