Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 PM

Default "I'm leaving Pro Tools for ... DAW"

The other day I kinda blasted on some guys in the http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387476 thread for posting yet another thread about leaving Pro Tools instead of just leaving Pro Tools. My point wasn't to take away anyone's right to complain. My point was to express that complaining on this forum is not going to solve the problem.

THIS is what's going to solve the problem for those with unstable systems; actually going to another DAW and hurting Avids pockets and market share is what has to happen. Several long time Pro Tools users are actually making the switch AND giving detailed videos on the exact reasons why and what the benefits are in other options.

Pete Stewart mentions his growing instability issues and feeling like Pro Tools itself wasn't growing enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zY7KyvpyQ

Matty Trump gives a very detailed look into some of the amazing features Studio One offers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fUddilLI4

Even the marvelous Warren Huart is dabbling in Studio One for nearly a year now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8N0LlJkzQg

Even in our Maschine Masters 'On The Spot' video, Matt Weiss mentions that HD is basically a huge $10K cost for Pro Tools not to crash. The scenario for this conversation being brought up is that the producer and the artist booked a studio session for a certain amount of hours to make this video and lost time due to Pro Tools crashing and requiring a complete reboot in the middle of the session. The producer mentions that this is NOT a surprise and that he plans to move to Ableton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQKsJUcjkc

So this is all I was saying. Just leave and show them why. Eventually they will either get into gear or sell the brand.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 01-06-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Default Re: "I'm leaving Pro Tools for ... DAW"

I started a similar war sometime back and made a few enemies. As I took a step back and looked at it maturely, I decided, "I'll just use whatever I feel like, unless the client specifically asks for XYZ DAW."

Based on the price and the way the Pro Tools subscription model works, I can't blame anyone for feeling jilted when they spend a heap on AVID hardware and Software (which I still keep doing!!). But your comment is absolutely right, complaining here does not get results. Leaving and telling AVID why you're leaving will if enough do.

As an audio engineer/mixer/producer that often works on complete E.P.s and Albums for bands, not having "Import from Session" is a dealbreaker on large projects. All DAWs give great results these days, and I don't think that any DAW is better than another, but they all have their quirks and features, and each tries to target the market in a slightly different way. I'd love EuCon support to be an industry standard because some of us early Pro Tools guys invested a lot into EuCon interfaces. I have an S3 that I would love to use fully functional with Studio One 3, alas, it is not to be.

So in conclusion, I did leave Pro Tools for Logic, then Logic for Studio One, and now I just use, whatever (usually Pro Tools because I'm most familiar with it). But they all have their Pro's and Con's.

Computer: Custom Built PC
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU: i7 7700k
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Extreme
DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Interface: Universal Audio
Preamps: Focusrite, Universal Audio
Outboard Processors: Universal Audio
Control Surfaces: AVID S3, Pro Tools | Control + Pro Tools | Dock
Old 01-05-2017, 08:48 PM

Indeed I also have tried a few other options, but in the end, I am back on Pro Tools because I just prefer the way it works(WHEN it works). Having said that, there have been several versions that have been really solid for me(like 10.3.8, 11.3.1) and I do have a system drive with 11.3.1 that I know I can use all day long with no big issues. I have a separate system drive(drives are in cages for fast swap) and I try each new version as they get released, but the backup drive is only a minute from running. I ran 12.7 for several hours today. First run was horrid(tons of non-working plugins). Reboot and restart PT and half the plugins came back. Uninstalled and reinstalled all my Waves plugins>reboot and almost all plugins worked(though a couple required a re-authorization). Sure wish everyone had an option for iLok(I know many will roll their eyes at this, but DANG! iLok just plain works)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM

I moved to Reaper for the bulk of my work. For my needs it's far better, and in so many ways I don't even want to list them all. If one person leaving Avid sends a message, then I've done my part. My subscription to PT doesn't run out for a while, but then Avid will not get any more of my money.

I continue to use PT for existing projects, and I do use Samplitude for various tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
The other day I kinda blasted on some guys in the http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387476 thread for posting yet another thread about leaving Pro Tools instead of just leaving Pro Tools. My point wasn't to take away anyone's right to complain. My point was to express that complaining on this forum is not going to solve the problem.

THIS is what's going to solve the problem for those with unstable systems; actually going to another DAW and hurting Avids pockets and market share is what has to happen. Several long time Pro Tools users are actually making the switch AND giving detailed videos on the exact reasons why and what the benefits are in other options.

Pete Stewart mentions is growing instability issues and feeling like Pro Tools wasn't growing.

Matty Trump gives a very detailed look into some of the amazing features Studio One offers.

Even the marvelous Warren Huart is dabbling in Studio One for nearly a year now.

Even in our Maschine Masters 'On The Spot' video, Matt Weiss mentions that HD is basically a huge $10K for Pro Tools not to crash. The scenario for this conversation being brought up is that the producer and the artist booked a studio session for a certain amount of hours to make this video and lost time due to Pro Tools crashing and requiring a complete reboot in the middle of the session. The producer mentions that this is NOT a surprise and that he plans to move to Ableton.

So this is all I was saying. Just leave and show them why. Eventually they will either get into gear or sell the brand.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post

Pete Stewart mentions is growing instability issues and feeling like Pro Tools wasn't growing.

Even in our Maschine Masters 'On The Spot' video, Matt Weiss mentions that HD is basically a huge $10K for Pro Tools not to crash. The scenario for this conversation being brought up is that the producer and the artist booked a studio session for a certain amount of hours to make this video and lost time due to Pro Tools crashing and requiring a complete reboot in the middle of the session. The producer mentions that this is NOT a surprise and that he plans to move to Ableton.

Excellent post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM

I know most ppl want more MIDI features, but I think what Pro Tools really needs is a complete overhaul of the underlying code. It's powerful but bloated. Reaper gave me an extra several years out of my old machine. Even with a 2015 MBP, PT gives me dropouts when playing Sonivox strings. (Got that a few days ago for $1. ) Open the same plugin in Garageband and no dropouts.

If PT13 doesn't deliver a significant improvement in efficiency and performance, I'll be switching to Logic or at the very least not renewing.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I know most ppl want more MIDI features, but I think what Pro Tools really needs is a complete overhaul of the underlying code. It's powerful but bloated. Reaper gave me an extra several years out of my old machine. Even with a 2015 MBP, PT gives me dropouts when playing Sonivox strings. (Got that a few days ago for $1. ) Open the same plugin in Garageband and no dropouts.

If PT13 doesn't deliver a significant improvement in efficiency and performance, I'll be switching to Logic or at the very least not renewing.
From my understanding, the whole basis of this subscription model is that PT12 is the last version and all we will see going forward are dot updates. So in a years time, we might be on 12.12.1 or something like that.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I understood it.

DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 PM

I have 12.5.2 and that's as far as I'm going. It has issues like lots of cpu errors and elastic has to be rendered and committed if you want to minimize those. I used Logic for years on the PC and Atari but I find working with elastic on PT is best for me. I like the work flow and I don't need too many other features. I'm not getting them anyways. ;-)
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
From my understanding, the whole basis of this subscription model is that PT12 is the last version and all we will see going forward are dot updates. So in a years time, we might be on 12.12.1 or something like that.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I understood it.
I can't believe that would be the case. I certainly don't recall reading that in PT12 announcements or release notes. It doesn't make sense to "stop" at 12 just because we're subscribing. If all they'll be doing from now on is dot updates with a few extra features here n there I'm DEFINITELY not renewing. (But I'm 99.99% sure that's not their plan.)

They rolled out the last few major updates about every 2 years. PT13 should be around the corner.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I can't believe that would be the case. I certainly don't recall reading that in PT12 announcements or release notes. It doesn't make sense to "stop" at 12 just because we're subscribing. If all they'll be doing from now on is dot updates with a few extra features here n there I'm DEFINITELY not renewing. (But I'm 99.99% sure that's not their plan.)

They rolled out the last few major updates about every 2 years. PT13 should be around the corner.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if that was the case personally, but I thought I remembered reading it somewhere. However I cannot find reference of it anywhere, so I must have imagined it.

DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1