Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Monitoring with speakers and Headphones

So I am wondering if anyone out there has a solution for being able to monitor vocal recordings via headphones with an mbox 2 mini which only has a single headphone jack in the front and two 1/4" L/R outs in the rear.

I am relocating my mic further away from the device and would also like to upgrade the main monitors to something actually made for studio referencing. I cannot figure out a solution with how limited I am right now.

The problem is that the headphone jack in the front doesn't cancel the main monitors from operating which causes problems being that the mic is in the same room.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Monitoring with speakers and Headphones

Hmm... first off, just turn down the monitors all the way. It think there's a way to route the mic input to only go to the headphones, but you'll still get nasty bleed from the track...

How much money do you plan on spending on speakers? I've got a pair of AV30's that I might be willing to dispense, but their not exactly "reference monitors." They are only a few months old, though. If you're willing to spend $300, get the BX5a's. AFAIK, they're the best in that price range.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Get a monitor box. Samson C Control cheapest, Mackie Big Knob next, Presonus Central Station next again. I have the Mackie Big Knob and run 2 headphones off it - with separate volume controls - and 2 sets of speakers with room for another pair.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM

The free solution is to turn off/power off the monitors during recording.

Any other solution will cost you money. But if you have $ to spend mackie big knob is one way to go.