Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Need to upgrade my computer, is it even possible?

I recently got my computer back after not having it for about five years. Got the internet turned on to it and it barely runs.

I used to operate pro tools Express with the mbox 3 interface. But I lost the installation driver disc and the pro tools Express software disc. so if I was to replace my computer I'm sure I would need that, and I cannot find them on the internet anywhere.

would it be wiser just to try to upgrade my current 32-bit operating system? It only has 2 gigs of RAM, and runs on Windows 7 which will only work with Express.

I don't know what to do, and I don't know much about the I lock device at all it's been so long since I hook this thing up I've never been in this situation before of transferring and reinstalling programs I don't have the disc too. This sucks
Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Need to upgrade my computer, is it even possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrow420 View Post
... my current 32-bit operating system? It only has 2 gigs of RAM, and runs on Windows 7 ...
Get a new computer.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Get a new computer.

In a word....yes Get a new one you will happier with your PT experience
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:53 PM

And I would consider a Macintosh over a Windows PC if you are a computer neophyte. Possibly a iMac or Mac mini (unless it needs to be portable). But there are some models to avoid (anything with a 4800 RPM and disk drive, a Fusion drive, etc).

If you describe your budget and you want to achieve, what type of music you want to work on/how large a session, what other computer and recording equipment and instruments you own then folks here may be able to give you some specific suggestions.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:42 PM

New computer: Yes. (Mac or PC, your choice and also depending on your budget.) You'll want a Core i7 and a minimum of 16 gb of RAM and one large SSD/NVME or two of each and something for storage and backups.

New interface: Yes. Audient would be a good choice, as would Steinberg. Depends on how much I/O you need.

And PT Express? NO. Given what appears to be your lack of computer and PT knowledge, you may be better off with Reaper or even Harrison MixBus. But, again, it depends on what you want to do and what your budget is.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 PM

Thank you for all your guys's help. I ended up getting my computer upgraded on the ram just to keep my mbox 3 with pro tools Express. I love the program and I know how to work it really good. But down the road I think I'll stray away from pro tools and look at other daws.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Update

So I should have listened to you guys originally when you said just get a new computer. I wasted $250 on getting this one repaired and now in the middle of of the Pro Tools projects I get the blue screen of death. So I'm going to save some money off my checks and get a new computer. I've never owned a Macintosh and I feel comfortable with a PC my price range will be about $1,000. Fortunately I'll be able to salvage my interface midi keyboard studio monitors and condenser mic so really I just need a computer and a digital audio workstation.

Somebody recommended Me Studio One which I've been watching videos on and that looks pretty cool. But before I decide on a d a w I need to get the best computer that I can for making music so I don't run into this problem 10 years down the road again.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM

Before you lay out anymore money on a new computer, try Reaper and Studio One. I know that Reaper will run on almost any computer.

That said, you might want to/need to first find out what is causing your BSOD. Solve that and you may not need a new computer, especially if another DAW will work well and suit your needs.

Take a look at the "Help Us Help You" link at the top of the Forum, see if anything there helps and post a Sandra Report.
SonoBus
Old 06-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Reaper seems to be the best way to go from the research I've been doing yesterday and today. I have a co-worker cool a couple months ago built his computer. And he knows a lot about how they work and I'm going to build one myself and he's going to come over and supervise me.

what I liked about Reaper was you could get the VST plug-ins from Pro Tools and they will work on Reaper. Seeing as how I'm going from Pro Tools Express ion already have an ilok with vsts register to them. So all of my current Hardware will still be useful. It will be fun building a computer and learning more about what does what.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Pro Tools has never had and probably never will have VST plug-ins. The plugins in PT Express are in an Avid proprietary format and you won't be able to use them outside of Pro Tools.

That said, Reaper has it's own plug-ins and there are many third party VST plugins available, some even free.

Also, given how "forgiving" Reaper is, as long as the computer you have now is working, Reaper will probably work just fine. So you can learn it, while you learn how to assemble a new computer.
SonoBus