Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Re: PT 12.8.3 - last version for Win 7 Support!?!

"If there's a way to do custom key commands on windows, that does NOT impact performance (with apple it's all part of the OS and takes a few seconds to do), then i'll look at Win 10."

Have a look at AutoHotkey.

Also, search for Shan and AutoHotkey (Shan is/was one of the PT Gurus) and you'll find lots of posts like this one.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-20-2017, 11:53 AM

9 years is an eternity compared to what they support on Mac OS's

WIN7 has been supported since PT8.04 - PT12.8.3

Mac can't even compare to that, it's a buffet of unpredictability of what is and what does and what shouldn't but will.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

WIN10 is great btw
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMBOR View Post
I refuse to run Windows 10 because the forced updates, and telemetry. I also refuse to support Microsoft's move towards OS in the cloud.
Your loss if you refuse to keep up. I prefer to get the latest OS and Avid updates and have no issues.

Win10 updates can be postponed and telemetry is a Windows Service that can be disabled from Services.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslechta View Post
Your loss if you refuse to keep up. I prefer to get the latest OS and Avid updates and have no issues.

Win10 updates can be postponed and telemetry is a Windows Service that can be disabled from Services.
Postponed updates are not the same as chosen, if and when I decide they needed. If you do any searching you will see many people who's systems get shut down by driver updates (Media Composer, for example). Then they lose hours of productive time troubleshooting what changed to get back in service.

Also, if you do some research you will see that a good deal, if not all, of the telemetry services get turned back on again each time Win 10 updates itself.

We should not have to fight with the OS to keep a system stable.

So I have trouble calling unpredictable updates, and loss of control of my own systems a win.

And my original point was - Microsoft still has 2+ years of mainstream support on Win 7. It is not obsolete! But AVID (AGAIN) want's to shirk their responsibility to support a current OS. There is no way to put lipstick on that pig.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:14 PM

I work in Pro Tools HDX on Windows 10 all day every day, and have no serious complaints about the OS.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Postponed updates are not the same as chosen, if and when I decide they needed. If you do any searching you will see many people who's systems get shut down by driver updates (Media Composer, for example). Then they lose hours of productive time troubleshooting what changed to get back in service.

Also, if you do some research you will see that a good deal, if not all, of the telemetry services get turned back on again each time Win 10 updates itself.

We should not have to fight with the OS to keep a system stable.

So I have trouble calling unpredictable updates, and loss of control of my own systems a win.

And my original point was - Microsoft still has 2+ years of mainstream support on Win 7. It is not obsolete! But AVID (AGAIN) want's to shirk their responsibility to support a current OS. There is no way to put lipstick on that pig.
I linked you earlier to a web post I did about different apps to shut ALL of it off, or shut different elements of it down selectively. I have been running it quite awhile now with with Pro Tools. Its only an issue if you choose to make it an issue.

Its almost guaranteed though that PT will continue to work with Windows 7. Most plugin devs I work with has long stopped testing on Win 7 at this point.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Win 10 only started being officially supported in a recent version? (I forget the version number.) Now, going forward it is the only supported PC OS?

Quote:
Old 12-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Default PT 12.8.3 - last version for Win 7 Support!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Win 10 only started being officially supported in a recent version? (I forget the version number.) Now, going forward it is the only supported PC OS?
Been supported all year, I left Mac in January and it was supported at that time
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And not surprisingly Microsoft who are the developers HAVE TO support their own software for a set period of time
Avid and others don't so basically 9years of Win7 is a really long support time and Avid has been doing that long enough. They need to move on and get the current PT versions working right and if that is going to happen they can't have people working with ancient OS versions.

And *not supported* doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that there won't be anymore fixes for Win7 moving forward. I bet you will still be able to run Win7 for quite some time
does that mean that the latest versions could potentially work on yosemite for mac as well then?

support was dropped 12.8.2
Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Even the money grubbers at Microsoft are supporting Windows 7 for a couple more years. But PT 12.8.3 is it for AVID ....
I hope Avid must has a good reason to announce this for 12.8.3. Extended support for Windows 7 will last until 2020, but Hotfixes are paid for. Windows 10 works great for me. However, my system is 100% dedicated to audio; no 'home/office' software installed.