How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-07-2022, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Feature wishes for christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McDude View Post
PLEASE return the cursor to black in classic mode.
Avid informed me that the cursor now being white, was a result of adopting dark mode, [ where a white cursor makes sense].
Avid stated thats its classified as both a feature AND a bug.
Every agent Ive spoke to is as confused as I was by this, and said this:
Yes it's a feature, I like it. It's easier to contrast in Light Mode between the clip edges, playback head, and now WHITE edit cursor. Everything is easier than three proximate black lines, fewer double guesses. So it's okay for me.

I see you like the reverse, so just engineering in the option to choose I suppose would be best, but as they say they are now not having a timeline I guess, cos it's not a showstopper.

My X-Mas feature request would be to use a modifier or two in order to "pause edit window scroll during continuous follow" so I can grab markers and clips easier without stopping transport half as much. Laying "page" markers in a certain workflow would be super smooth without trying to grab and/or drop things when I hit numpad enter at a slightly wrong timing and want a little nudge. Can sort of get the result with scrolling by page, but I like continuous.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-08-2022, 12:42 AM

"Remove all muted clips from the timeline"

Clip FX to update waveform overview.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:54 AM

The white cursor is what’s keeping me on 2022.7.

There are so many things to want. One I don’t see is a proper plugin manager. It would be so nice to disable plugins without manually moving them to the Unused folder. Firstly just to hide things you don't use but need to keep on standby. Secondly if you suspect a problem plug. This would also entail a rescan option to enable changes whilst PT is running. Also helpful if a plugin has an update, you wouldn't have to quit to update it.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:06 PM

Fun game. Feature wishes or "What would it take for me to reactivate my perpetual license ?"

1) Folder Tracks - so close. Santa's helpers should review all of the excellent suggestions from the Folder Tracks Feature Request Sticky from many versions ago. For me the critical ones were changing folder view during recording, and independent folder views in edit and mix windows. There were a number of other very interesting refinements suggested in the Sticky. I believe zero suggestions/requests have been implemented.

2) Arranger Mode - I have been demoing a few other DAWS and a couple of them have lists that can be manipulated to sequence through markers in any arbitrary way. This looks very useful for testing different arrangements and live looping-type recording.

3) UI color schemes - Dark Mode, so close. It's 2022/23. Way more customization that can be easily transferred in a config file to whatever workstation I am at.

4) Multiple channel widths in the mix window - we can do it in the edit window why not in the mix window. At least a mix of narrow and wide. Could really help in some cases.

5) Scene Mode - some way to quickly switch between different versions of the same mix. This is partially possible, but a simple complete Scene List would be awesome.

6) Don't change the overall UI and workflow - don't get me wrong, I like PT most, but...

ejinbc
Old 12-10-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
Well, if we’re talking little things…

A list of recently used plug-ins right above the categories like Logic Pro has.
This ^^^ would be such a big time safer! Especially in the AudioSuite menu!

And Nudging Selection Start/End Points (Option/Command+Shift+Plus/Minus) when these are at the same position so there is no selection, thus making a selection with the keyboard alone!
Old 12-10-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
Well, if we’re talking little things…

A list of recently used plug-ins right above the categories like Logic Pro has.
Only if you could choose to turn it off. That would drive me crazy. The Right-Click menus have already grown to unmanageable at times.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 12-10-2022, 03:09 PM

I found a great feature in Reaper the other day that would be a fantastic addition in Pro Tools -> definable maximum audio file size for recording, with the option to stagger the creation of new audio files. Such a great peace of mind feature on long live records.

For example, if you have a 4 hour record and set the maximum file size to 250mb with the staggered file creation option ticked, Reaper will automatically create a new audio file every 30 minutes, but it will do it sequentially through all your record channels rather than needing to close and open new audio files for every channel simultaneously.

I don’t do long live records that often, but I was a bit surprised to see Pro Tools just throw an error saying “maximum file size reached” and totally dropping out of record, while Reaper just ticked over like a dream.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:14 PM

PT10 introduced RF64 wav files which allow +4GB so unless you are using FAT32 there is no problem. HFS+ and APFS both have 8 exabyte file size limit (8 followed by 18 zeroes)
Old 12-10-2022, 08:06 PM

Feature wishes. Fix midi bugs as promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
PT10 introduced RF64 wav files which allow +4GB so unless you are using FAT32 there is no problem. HFS+ and APFS both have 8 exabyte file size limit (8 followed by 18 zeroes)
The feature I am suggesting isn't about how to make a long audio file. It is about how you comfortably do long recordings in a system that feels robust in use. Particularly in less than ideal environments like those littered with production equipment from various suppliers, temporary stage structures, power generators, risk of inclement weather, etc.

My session was set to RF64 and APFS. I assumed it was a disk allocations issue, until the actual show recording went strangely fine using the same settings. It just reminded me how fragile Pro Tools is at this kind of work - to the point that I would never actually trust it to just free-wheel in record for 4 or 5 hours during these kinds of performances. I would find breaks to stop, save, then recommence the recording. Manually sealing off files and starting again. I don't know what happens to an RF64 file mid-recording if power is suddenly lost, or if something goes astray and an RF64 file gets corrupted. And frankly, I never want to find out.

Reaper feels robust because it implements the computer science from a practical, audio engineering standpoint. It supports Wav. It supports Wave64. It supports RF64. Because of the definable audio file size, it will also let you record continuously for as long as you like using whatever format you choose, while also guaranteeing that you walk away with the vast majority of your recording intact if something outside of the control of your DAW does go catastrophically wrong.

Location sound recorders have had these features for years, and they are incredibly handy to have.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.