Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Sluggish response on buttons & jog wheel

Hey all,

I'm running Dock & S3 and I really love them. They were first installed on a big PC and worked really well, recently I jumped back over to a Mac Pro and I've found there's quite a lag between button presses and the action taking place.

Fader response, mutes, solos, are all more or less instantaneous, but soft keys on Dock and S3 and the jog wheel are very slow to respond. On the PC things felt instant, it was like the jog wheel was mechanically connected to clip gain!

I've very carefully gone through all the ethernet connectivity stuff, tried a few different setups with no change in response, (from direct connection from Mac -> S3 > Dock - serial, to the dedicated Netgear switch they are on now, same setup as on PC).

My Mac Pro is a 12 core 2.7GHz machine running 64BG Ram, Latest version of Sierra and PTHD 12.8.2 with 1 x HDX card.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Sluggish response on buttons & jog wheel

PS - Same deal with macros I've made via iPad app - it's like every click just takes that bit more time to register and execute, like the frame rate of Eucon is way slower. I have some multiple button press macros that used to execute in a little over a second on PC which now take over 5 on Mac. What used to be a big fast blur is now a distinct. set. of. individual. steps.

Overall though stability and everything else on mac is so much better so I'm happy, I'm just looking to optimise as much as possible.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM

What version of EuControl/Control App are you on? Have you done the Dock firmware update (came with the last EuControl)?

Any reason you haven't moved up to PT HD 2018.3? (I found 12.8.2 kind of buggy; before 2018.3, last best was 12.8.1; 8.2, 8.3, 18.1 all had some issues) Was that the same version of PT HD you were running on the PC?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Avid

I havent heard of that before. Try uninstalling an reinstalling.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Thanks for both replies above

I've been waiting for a couple of months for Avid customer support to help me with my upgrade to PT 2018 - I was set up to auto-renew and it didn't go through on the day. First customer support guy told me that I could just pay $1,000.00 instead of the $400.00 I should have to renew my subscription, the next guy is waiting for IT to get back to him. Unfortunately I can't even download 12.8.3 in the meantime. My system is stable though, so I'm not too stressed about the above.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, good idea. This was a totally fresh system on a 12 core 6,1 Mac Pro. I'll give the uninstall a shot and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM

PS - Yes this was the same version as on PC