Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Digi 002 temporary shutdown

I've had my Digi002 box for three years. Never had a problem.

Yesterday I heard a distinct click sound emanate from somewhere within the box. Looking at the front panel, I noticed that both the flashing MIDI flashing light and the sample rate light were no longer lit. Then I got an error message within Protools alerting me that the box was off, and I needed to turn it on. This I tried 4 or 5 times, although the connection was never made. So i got out of Protools, rebooted the computer, and tried it again. Still didn't work. I shut down the computer for the day.

This morning I turned on the computer, turned on the Digi002, started Protools, and everything worked just fine.

Has this ever happened to anyone else out there? I ask this, because I need to figure out the cause of this temporary shut down, to decide whether I need to send the box back to Digidesign for repair. Does the Digi002 have overload circuit protection? If so, I'm guessing that maybe the circuit got tripped, and the unit wouldn't re-start until it had enough time to cool down? At the time of this mysterious click, I had been experimenting with a Reaktor sampler as a track plugin, essentially using protools right at the edge of buffer overload, and had pegged the gains once or twice, in an attempt to set a useable volume for the plugin. Could this have triggered the shut-down? Any guidence is much appreciated.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 temporary shutdown

It has happened to me at least twice...same exact situation. Nothing you can do makes it come back and then all of a sudden, it's fine. My guess is there was probably an electrical surge that sends the 002 into frenzy. I have never been able to reproduce the crash so there was no use in sending it back in.