Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 05:36 AM

Default Mac won\'t boot with LaCie USB burner connected

Mac won't boot with LaCie USB burner connected.
Tried advice such as changing round the connections.
Admit this is our first tech port of call beyond theodd phone call. We're flippin out. Drive's all but full.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Mac won\'t boot with LaCie USB burner connected

delete all lacie stuff, reinstall drivers, try again

if not, download drivers from LaCie website, try again. Make sure burner is connected directly to the computer, not through a USB Hub (especially a passive hub).

If not, boot up with Mac OS Base extensions (depress Shift key during startup), install drivers, boot up - if this works, you may have an extension conflict with the LaCie + something else on your drive. Run Conflict Catcher to figure it out! (or, if you don't have that utility, try the old "half the extensions on, half off" and reboot technique until you find it!

good luck
dc
Old 04-29-2002, 08:08 AM

Are you using 9.0.4?

If so, you either need to keep the power off of the Lacie until you boot up, or unplug it during bootup. (Or just upgrade the OS to 9.1 or later)

Just wondering....because 9.0.4 has a problem with USB and startup.

Cheers

Old 04-29-2002, 09:03 AM

I went through the same crap, except with a que fire, fire wire drive.
I tried all the extension crap, and ll the driver updates, and it ended up being the burner itself.
So I sent it back, they fixed it, and it did the same thing in a week.
I sent it back and requested they tell me what was causing the problem.
They could not tell me anything, except that it was the burner, and not my computer.
The only thing I could figure, is the way I was powering up my, and powering down my burner.
So now I have it turned on before I boot, then I make sure the computer is shutdown completely, then I turn off the burner.
I have not had the problem again, but who knows.

So i would say from experience...before you drive yourself insane with drivers, and extensions. Send the burner to checked out.
Hopefully it is still under warranty.

Hope this helps

chad
Old 04-29-2002, 04:16 PM

I have an APS Firewire CD burner, and it MUST be running in order for my B&W G3 to boot up. Even if I have my Firewire extensions disabled, the Mac just sits there waiting for the CD burner.

I think this is another example of a new "standard" that is foisted on end users, with no concern for standardizing how the software / hardware implementation takes effect on the rest of the gear. Seems like upgrading to new gear always forces older gear to become obsolete faster. Sure, new gear is nice, but you pay twice for it; once for the new gear, and again with all the frustration making the old gear work. with it. If that doesn't work, you can always buy MORE new gear that's compatible with the other new gear.

dave patterson / knobville