Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Default Asus m3n-hd hdmi ???

Anybody out there heard any good news on the ASUS M3N-HD HDMI for pro tools? I am on winXP-SP3, still on PT 7.3 (but will move up to 7.4 once I am rebuilt) and running on a AMD 64x2 Dual Core 6000 w/4 GB Corsair DDR2 RAM.

** I found the ASUS M3N-HD HDMI online for $139.00

Sadly my 7 month old ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe just died and so did the "PC CLUB" out here in Ca!!! My pc was literally on their bench and they called me to hurry up and get my box out of the store before the doors were locked..!

Now I am on my own to purchase and install an new mobo while the old one goes to ASUS for warranty repair (which could take weeeeeeeeeks!). I guess it will act as a spare mobo when it comes back? lol

Anyways, since I am running AMD I would like to hear ASAP from anyone who has experience in these matters....

Thank you
Old 07-29-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Asus m3n-ht deluxe

LOL, sorry... ok a quick call (20 minute wait time... LOL) to ASUS provided better answers, the rep recommended this board as it is in another league than the previously mentioned ASUS M3N-HD HDMI.

***Of course the Price is $249.99 compared to the $139.00

ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

• CPU Type: Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2
  • FSB: 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
  • Number of Memory Slots: 4×240pin
  • Memory Standard: DDR2 1066
  • Maximum Memory Supported: 8GB
  • Dual Channel Supported: Yes
  • PCI Express 2.0 x16: 3
  • PCI Express x1: 1
  • Model #: M3NHT DELUXE/MEMPIPE

***Anyone hip to the ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE mobo?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Why are you looking at this board? If you go with it, you will almost certainly have to install a video card as protools does not perform well with onboard video. Its also an expensive mobo to take a chance on. especially when there are several others that are known to be working with PT. Also, are you thinking of using an AMD Phenom quad cpu? If so, you really should reconsider and go with Intel as their quads are much faster. For Dual core, the AMD as competitive. I am a serious AMD fan but if I were going quad core, it would be Intel only.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM

hi albee, thanks for the input. so all in all what do you suggest? I am looking for solid advice. Is this board to new to be trusted? Obviously digi can not keep up with every mobo that comes down the pike.

I put the order in on the board but it can be stopped if I call tomorrow! I already have a Geforce 128NB dual pci video card, that should work should it not? It worked just fine with the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe that just died.

Man should I just find another ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and not be more current? Please share what boards you deem worthy.

thx
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 PM

ASUS usually has VERY fast turnaround times. If you expedite it into them you could save a couple of days. Shouldn't take more than week.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 PM

hi sunburst79, is this in regards to what I said
Quote:
"Now I am on my own to purchase and install an new mobo while the old one goes to ASUS for warranty repair (which could take weeeeeeeeeks!)."
I guess I am sweating it because this is my main workstation and I am running a business on this as well and currently I am "out of biz' w/o a PC.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM

Since you are replacing a failed mobo, I would get the same part and drop it in with no headaches with reloading all your OS and software. That mobo has been working great for me. The only reason I would accept for a change, would be to go quad. When I built my system, the quad guys were still fleshing things out and it was a bit pricey but now, its pretty tempting. The reports on the AMD quad have not been so promising but I am curious what kind of results anyone is getting with the AMD Phenom quads. Anyone built one yet?

Note to Halipino, have a backup plan in place. If your business depends on it, it will be the best money you ever spend. Here is how I would handle it: first, have a cloned hard drive of your system drive. Any crash and you can install the replacement drive in minutes and it is already fully loaded and ready to work. Next, install a decent UPS. An APC 1000 or similar can save your ***** in the event of any power sag or surge. I run my entire setup (minus the speakers) off one and it has saved me on more than one session. If you lose power during a bounce or while recording/saving, you can corrupt an entire session. If your business really depends on your computer, I would seriously invest in a second computer as soon as you can afford it. Maybe not as powerful as your audio machine, but I would make it protools compatible just in case. My studio "office" computer is a laptop but it will run protools in a pinch and it doubles as a portable recording setup with a 002r and Presonus Firestudio.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Interesting, thanks albee!
So if you have 2 different mobos/pc boxes will you be able to use the "cloned" HD in both machines without problems or do you get in to all kinds of driver issues etc?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halipino View Post
Interesting, thanks albee!
So if you have 2 different mobos/pc boxes will you be able to use the "cloned" HD in both machines without problems or do you get in to all kinds of driver issues etc?
No, he means he has a back up drive available at all times. Knowing Allbee 1952 he has clones of both the laptop and the DAW.

If it is a buisness its a GREAT idea to use last years DAW as the email machine or even build a complete spare system.

Regarding your turn around time. Have you talked to ASUS and explained the situation? They may ship you another board while your sending the old one back. I'm not sure if they offer a advance replacement like Digi does but its good to ask. I'd rather pay a deposit and have them ship me the same board than deal with a new and unknown one.

Return shipping time in the states used to run 3-4 days. I live about 200 miles from the service center so I have actually got stuff back in two days.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Yikes this is getting messy.. lol
Yesterday in the heat of the battle I pulled the trigger and purchased the M3NHT DELUXE and newegg said it already shipped this morning when i called after reading this forum...

They said I could refuse the shipment but impossible to stop shipment!
*ack*

I need to get back in the saddle here so I could just take my chances with this board and perhaps be the 1st pioneer and let everyone know if it is good for PT or not. LOL

But your idea of calling ASUS and seeing if they offer a advance replacement is awesome, thanks I am calling now!!!!!!