Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Default Troubles with Slate SSD5

High Sierra, 5.1 Mac Pro, 48 gigs of RAM, Ultimate 2018.12 w 32 gigs RAM allocated to PT. Cold install just a week or so ago - everything bright and shiny clean. SHould I lower my PT Ram allocation? Often have very high track count with loads of edits etc. This session I'm talking about just has the SSD5 'instrument' track and five audio ins
Anyhow... the problem:

A.) without mix outs assigned and monitoring straight off the plugin instrument track, where SSD5 is instantiated, which is going to 1&2, everything only comes out of 1
2.) when i assign the outputs in the SSD5 mixer, the option of "SSD Sampler5 - Slate Control - insert a' on each Audio Input is greyed out as a possible input from the 'plugin' drop down in Pro Tools

Now, I had it all working yesterday. But, this morning when I tried to open yesterday's session with everything working, it would repeatedly crash Pro Tools (Ultimate 2018.12). This was a cold whole system / pro tools install I'd just finished (on 1TB OWC SSD) a few days ago. Other sessions without Slate open fine! So I went back to the January 8 PT session where I'd started working on the Slate install and it opened okay but no option of input from SSD Sampler 5 - and sound only coming from output 1 of '1&2.

MIDI in to SSD5 working fine. Just the outputs to Audio inputs are hosed.

I'm reluctant to run PT Pref's cuz it's a new, perfectly working install other than this SSD5 problem

Thanks
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Troubles with Slate SSD5

I'm a long term Trigger user. There's were some issues where plugin settings would be lost which was a pain in the buttocks. I think an update cured these ills.

I just installed the free version of SSD5 the other day and gave it a try. The outputs came out of L+R AOK as expected. A bit early to say as I haven't saved any Sessions with it in but will report back if I see the issues you mentioned.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 AM

I may have solved this or learned something. The session I had a problem with was started in Pro Tools 10 - way back when. I recreated the session in Pro Tools 2018.12 and it worked fine. I suspect this is a zit in Avid's programming or maybe the new software doesn't handle Instrument tracks the same way old versions did. Thanks to all for pondering
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 01-14-2019, 03:13 PM

I have had many issues with SSD4 and Trigger. I had enough and bought XLN Trigger. I dig it.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-14-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
I have had many issues with SSD4 and Trigger. I had enough and bought XLN Trigger. I dig it.
Interesting. I also moved from Slate to XLN.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com