Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2022, 01:53 PM

Default New User, help with sound

Hi, I am new to ProTools (it came with my Focusrite 2i2) and am trying to learn from the tutorials but am having sound issues.

When I have ProTools Intro open, I cannot watch the tutorials on Chrome browser, but I can watch them on Edge though. Problem is the sound then comes through my monitor speakers and not headphones via the Focusrite. If ProTools is not open then all sound from either browser comes through my headphones.

Is ProTools doing something when I have it open to disable the sound in other apps? It's hard to go through the tutorials when I cannot have ProTools open.

I need the headphones so I do not disturb others.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2022, 02:04 PM

Default Re: New User, help with sound

Pro Tools will not share the 2i2 audio interface with other devices.

The best by far setup with Pro Tools with what you have is to dedicate the 2i2 to Pro Tools only and to make sure that Windows itself and other apps use whatever built in audio device is in your PC. That means nothing else using the 2i2, not just the ASIO driver for the 2i2, but all drivers for it.

You can get around this in different ways, e.g. with a more complex interface you can physically connect audio output from your computer into the interface (analog cables or even better S/PDIF digital if both ends support that). Some interface drivers also provide a "loopback" path to get audio from Windows into the interface via it's device driver and then you can use that in Pro Tools or potentially just route to the interface monitors if not using Pro Tools. The 2i2 is a great beginners interface and just keep it dedicated to Pro Tools and things will work/be simple.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:16 PM

Saoirse, Also, take a moment to see what's going on here...

Pro Tools is a dedicated audio software. It listens to inputs, controls outputs, and transforms sound.

In some cases with some softwares, and in ways Darryl described with more complex interfaces, you can listen to and record everything. Then, on a more simplified setup, it's like handling one marble with two hands. THAT would be less stable. One sound going out of YouTube into the computer and out the Pro Tools Speaker thru interface is just... not quite design parameter.

It is not that you are doing something wrong. It's just not what is easiest to happen by most methods.

If you watch the tutorial on your phone and control pro tools independently, it might be easier. One sound source in each ear?? Hopefully you'll pick up basics, and will move faster soon!

Have fun!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-27-2022, 01:33 PM

@Darryl Ramm and @nednednerb Thank you for the explanation and clarification. I was going a bit crazy when one worked and the did not and then vice versa. Your explanations make sense and I have tried working with the tutorials on an iPad and then ProTools on my computer. Working a charm.

Appreciated, thank you