Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 04:56 AM

Default Is the D24 worth it?

Hello,

I am looking to setup a 24 track Project Studio in my home and I am seriously wanting to use Pro Tools. I have used it before and, of course, I like working in it. The unfortunate problem is that I am not at the point where I can spend $7k for a base Pro Tools setup. I am currently using RME converters and looking to buy a decent console. SO, anyway, the ultimate goal is 24 tracks in and out.

I see that the D24 and a farm card seem to pop up every so often for sale. They are at a reasonable price now that everyone is using the Mix system. My question to you guys is, is it worth getting to start with? I am also looking at Steinberg's Nuendo mainly for the price issue.

Thanks for your help,
Michael
1024 MB RAM
2x 40 GB HD
80 GB Firewire
Digi002R
RME ADI-8 Pro
Old 09-19-2001, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Is the D24 worth it?

A d24 is a great system depending on what you want to do.
It runs the current PTs TDM version, giving you 32 tracks of 16 or 24 bit. It doesn't allow for surround sound mixing or direct connect for softsynths and samplers. A single farm card will not give you tons of DSP available for plug-ins.
It would be a great recording and editing tool, but for mixing it would be pretty limited.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:08 AM

I've got a D24 with 2 farms and am very happy with it. Not too often do I use over 32 tracks anyway. Plus, on my G4/733, I can get over 50 Filterbanks and Compressor banks, so DSP is not as big an issue. PLUS, You can buy a d24, then add a Mix Farm, and be running the equivalent of a Mix system for much less $$. I would say definitely go for it.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:15 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, I've always worked at studios where things have always been up and running already, but D24 is different than a mix core? And cheaper, older, discontinued or something?
Old 09-20-2001, 12:35 AM

I've recently made the sort of purchase you're talking about. Like to pass on a couple of points:

Remember the routing will also use DSP, with a 24/32 track session (you'll always end up using more!) you will probably have enough for a TDM reverb (which sound pretty good to me, and is a goody to get off the processor) and the routing - you possibly will be able to get a chorus/delay on an aux as well, depends on how many tracks - this is because once a DSP is doing one thing, that's all it can do.

This means all other plugins will be RTAS - which can only be used on audio 'disk' tracks (not aux, or master) and cannot be used on record enabled tracks - RTAS must also come before TDM in the inserts list.

Don't forget you'll get a lot more plugins than (say) a Dig001 system - as the processor doesn't have much else to do.

Regarding the other replies to your post - I'd like to correct one thing - with a D24 system you can use directconnect - but this has to be on a 'disk' track (i.e. one of the 32 available) rather than on an aux return which the mix systems can do - this is because the D24 uses RTAS directconnect rather than TDM, although since TDM directconnect takes a whole chip I can't see why anyone would use it!

I'm very pleased with my choice, and remember you can always buy other dsp farms/mix farms later on - that's what I'm doing now!

Hope this helps

Pete
Old 09-21-2001, 09:11 AM

I got a used d24 system for half the price of the mix system and it is a great system. i recommend it highly. the thing to watch for is the version you are getting. I had to upgrade mine through digidesign to be suitable for a G4. you need verion g1 or higher. there is a special place to look on the card (I cant give you the specifics because my card is in the computer at the time and i can;t remember exactly) but there is a little oval that sould say g1 or someting alphabetically higher than that. Mine had a "f" in the little oval so I had to send it in to get it upgraded. It was one of the smoothest customer service experiences I have ever had. I sedn it out fed ex on a Monday and had it back on Weds. cost 50.00. just call Digidesign cust service and they can give you the details. tell them you want the D24 upgrade.
Old 09-22-2001, 12:57 AM

Just chiming in to say I am very happy with my d24 system that I recently put together. Everything works great and on my g4 450 it allows me around 30-40 RTAS plugins depending on the type. It is a perfect upgradable mid-level system without spending the $ on a mix core card.