Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2014, 05:14 AM

Default Core Audio Problem - HD Native Thunderbolt w HD OMNI

Hello Everybody,
I have a problem with running Core Audio applications with my HD Native Thunderbolt interface.
The problem has started a few days ago, even though I haven't done any updates, changed preferences or installed something new. I never had any problems running Core Audio applications before.
It seems that the Core Audio doesn't recognise the Thunderbolt interface anymore.
Luckily Pro Tools works just fine without any problems. It still recognises the OMNI & Thunderbolt interface.
I read some threads in DUC and information on Avid Knowledge Base about similar problems and tried out all the suggested solutions. However nothing seems to solve my problem.

This is the closest I get:
http://tinyurl.com/otyxbf2

When I follow these steps, I get stuck in the Audio - MIDI setup. The HD Native Thunderbolt is greyed out on the panel, showing 0 ins and 0 outs. When I click on that part, I can only select the clock source - internal or external. Another weird thing is that when I go to System Preferences/Sound, Avid HD Native Thunderbolt is only recognised on outputs.
I attach the screenshots:

When I perform DigiTest, it's completed without any errors. Pro Tools keeps working flawless with OMNI and never had a recognition problem. All the inputs and outputs are functioning well. So this shouldn't be a hardware issue.
OMNI firmware is up to date. (version 2.10) and I run Pro Tools HD Native - version 10.3.9
I'm on OS X 10.8.5

I really look forward for your help !
Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Core Audio Problem - HD Native Thunderbolt w HD OMNI

I just found out that the links for the screenshots are not working well, therefore I attach the screenshots here.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM

Just to clarify. Are you trying to use a core audio application while running Pro Tools???

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM

No, Pro Tools is not running and I'm also aware that I have to start Avid Core Audio before running any Core Audio application.
One problem for instance is that, I start Avid Core Audio and I can still configure my HD OMNI from the prefs, this means that interface and OMNI are both recognized. When I start iTunes and click a track to play, the transport doesn't move at all. Also no signal on the OMNI meters present.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:55 AM

Ok I find the solution myself and I see that there are threads here with same problem but none of them seems to have a conclusion, so I better write it here.
The problem was not about the routing or connections which I was already sure about it.
It's just the buffer size setting of the core audio application. It's default setting is 128samples. In my case it was already there as usual.
But I just switched it to 1024 and back to 128 again.
And guess what? It worked!