Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Acoustics - Room Treatment

Hi folks.Hopefully someone can help me out on this. I use ProTools and have some good quality mics etc.i have a room 38' x 11'.I'm going to divide into a control room and a recording room.I've had a carpenter in and had him build a vocal/acoustic guitar booth. Unfortunately , he didn't follow what I had wanted done.The room is now 4' x 7' but I wanted one wall angled which he did not do,so its square.Could someone tell me where to find a website that may help me treat this room so it's usable.It's got a little high end bounce but I have nothing on the walls at this point and would like to effectively treat it.
Here are the dimensions in case someone knows about this sort of thing.

The room is 4'deep x 7'wide and 7' high.

Front Wall has 34" solid core door with a 2' x 2' window.

Sidewall 1 : exposed field stone 4'Wide x 7'High.

Sidewall 2 : 4' Wide x 7' High Double layer 5/8 sheetrock.
Back Wall is 7' x 7'exposed fieldstone (various shapes and sizes which I think should be good for breaking up sound).
Ceiling is Sheetrock.
Floor is wood on cement.
If someone could give me some input or direct me to a site I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brian.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Acoustics - Room Treatment

The ubiquitous Auralex.com website should answer most of your questions. On that site is 'acoustics101' which will better explain the wonders of how sound and rooms interact and how to control them.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:56 AM

www.foambymail.com

I bought 300 sqft for about 200 bucks. It is exactly the same as the high priced Aurelex, looks just as good, and works like a champ! Delivery is fast too.

Hope that this helps!

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-08-2003, 10:23 AM

I disagree on the foam by mail being the same as auralex. That foam is about an inch thick. auralex is a good 2" thick and absorbes more low mid frequencies. It also has inch deep cuts into it which makes the angle the sound bounces off steeper, getting rid of more hi's... I just did an upstairs room with auralex. It is highly effective.

As for the walls, I honestly would recommend getting him back in there and have him redo it right before it is finished because you're not going to ever be happy with the acoustics of that room. If you do any treatment you are going to take up at least 4 inches of space, making the wall 3'8" wide. I think a 4x12 is that wide, but it's tight,and impossible for things like a drumset or a really fat singer. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I just installed the ultimate sound treatment in my basement, 2x4's with foam insulation in between, covered with polyester foam, and a moulding edge... maybe you could have him make a double wall with this stuff....
http://www.eastcoastbands.com/img/side2.jpg

(yeah i like to brag, cause it looks sooo good.

The other issue is the ceiling. Though rafters are ugly, they offer a great diffusion setup and give you more acoustic treatment options. If looks are your main concern, I would have went with a drop ceiling wth fabric streched across tiles with holes cut in them, backed by fiberglass. If sound is your main concern I would have left the rafters raw, and put auralex between the rafters. It really doesn't look that bad, and the solid wood of the rafters adds good diffusion to the room, like the stone.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 07-08-2003, 10:48 AM

Keny,
Sorry man, not tobe a D*%K but I have to disagree. I have both Aurelex and the stuff from Foambymail. I have 2 inch foam from both and they make every type if you look at their website you will see their variety. 2", 3" 4" bass traps, etc. I specifically spoke to the guy there and told him that I needed the 2 inch stuff. When I held it up to the Aurelex, it was the same density, pretty much the same weight and the same thickness. The only thing that it lacked was the sparkly crystals in the foam. So for the money to me you get double from what Aurelex would give you, and at over half the price from the Guitar Center markup, I think that is worth it. I used it on my back wall and had great results sound wise, and put it in my vocal booth and it works great. Just a inexpensive way for "treatment" without going broke and get good sounds.

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 07-08-2003, 01:40 PM

Check your e-mail Keny. I sent ya one to your eastcoastband account. Again, I was in no way bashing you and I am for quality stuff too. That is why I sent you the message offline. I am just saying, for the money and the purpose. Why spend 350 bucks (for people who are not going direct to the company) to get 24 sq.ft when you get double that for half the cost. Just throwing it out there.

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 07-09-2003, 12:51 AM

Well that's good for you. all I know is that I got it directly from a regional sales rep at a discounted price, I tried some mail order stuff and was totally dissappointed. All I gotta say is get a sample of whatever you do first, before you do anything.

On another note, I'm the type of guy who buys the brand name stuff over cheap imitations. Like my mic collection consists of a u-87, a 414, 2 tlm103's, 4 sm81's a few 421's, d112's, I use true systems preamp$, Tascam stuff etc. brand name stuff y'know? I guess that preference bleeds into everything else I do. well just about everything now that I think of it. I think 4,000 bux for a mac and 1,800 bucks for a glyph drive is a Little extreme. I'm sticking with a pc even when I go to HD in a few months........
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com