Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Weird MOTU MK3 Hybrid problem

Had a weird thing happen last night. I booted up my DAW as usual after months of flawless performance. Since I have a MOTU 896, I launch Cuemix first, as is the ritual. Only nothing happened. Tried again. Nothing happened. Reboot, nothing happened.

I went into panic mode. Shut everything down, unplugged the MOTU power cord and firewire cable, as well as the lightpipe to my other preamp. Plug it all back in. Reboot.

OK it found it and Cuemix launched, PT launched and I'm happy.

Then, I go to record and the latency is insane. What the hell?

Of course, I don't have to fool with this stuff much, so it took me forever to figure out that for some reason the bitrate buffer had set itself to 512. WHY? I adjust it back to a decent buffer, and reset the track monitoring so I can hear when tracks are record enabled.

For some reason, all those settings just went wonky all on their own, after years of perfect operation.

1ST off, why did this happen in the first place? Is my unit going bad or maybe a faulty firewire cable?

Was it because I unplugged everything?

I'm so confused about it, but did get it back to working last night.

Only now, I'm filled with anxiety that I'm going to get home and it's going to pull the stunt again. Hopefully not, but we'll see.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Weird MOTU MK3 Hybrid problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveleye View Post
Had a weird thing happen last night. I booted up my DAW as usual after months of flawless performance. Since I have a MOTU 896, I launch Cuemix first, as is the ritual. Only nothing happened. Tried again. Nothing happened. Reboot, nothing happened.

I went into panic mode. Shut everything down, unplugged the MOTU power cord and firewire cable, as well as the lightpipe to my other preamp. Plug it all back in. Reboot.

OK it found it and Cuemix launched, PT launched and I'm happy.

Then, I go to record and the latency is insane. What the hell?

Of course, I don't have to fool with this stuff much, so it took me forever to figure out that for some reason the bitrate buffer had set itself to 512. WHY? I adjust it back to a decent buffer, and reset the track monitoring so I can hear when tracks are record enabled.

For some reason, all those settings just went wonky all on their own, after years of perfect operation.

1ST off, why did this happen in the first place? Is my unit going bad or maybe a faulty firewire cable?

Was it because I unplugged everything?

I'm so confused about it, but did get it back to working last night.

Only now, I'm filled with anxiety that I'm going to get home and it's going to pull the stunt again. Hopefully not, but we'll see.
I had something similar happen, though it wasn't the buffer settings, rather the sampling rate. I use a MOTU 8pre in conjunction with a 828mk3. Upon firing them up one day, the 8pre had switched from 44.1khz to 48khz.

My only guess is something caused the interface to revert to its default buffer settings (or in my case sample rate).

Doesn't the 896 have USB on the back? I'd ditch firewire personally.