Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Blue Cat Late Replies external ducking

I've been using Late Replies inside Axiom and would like to be able to use the ducker fed by an external bus send. However I can't find any way to do that and there's nothing in the manual on how to do that. The ducking function & controls are described and there's a block diagram but nothing on how to feed in an external ducking control. Got a support request in to Blue Cat but am hoping someone here might know the answer. Google turns up nothing on how to use the external ducking feature.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Blue Cat Late Replies external ducking

I think Axiom doesn't have sidechain input so the only way to trigger Ducker is by using the direct signal of the track Axiom is inserted. You have to insert Late Replies as a separate plugin to have this option and still I wouldn't know how to route that signal to the Ducker. If you tag Blue Cat hopefully they prove me wrong.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I think Axiom doesn't have sidechain input so the only way to trigger Ducker is by using the direct signal of the track Axiom is inserted. You have to insert Late Replies as a separate plugin to have this option and still I wouldn't know how to route that signal to the Ducker. If you tag Blue Cat hopefully they prove me wrong.
You're right in that Axiom doesn't have an apparent sidechain input that I can find (nor have you it seems). And that's sad if it's missing as that would be a good thing to have when using LR inside Axiom.

I've looked at the LR manual and they make no mention of how to use the eternal sidechain. I know they have MIDI control for a lot of stuff but even that doesn't cover the external sidechain business. There is a thing where one can control the sidechain enable via MIDI but nothing about using an audio input.

I have a support email into Blue Cat with this and have also asked over on Gearslutz in what's about a 2 year old thread.

Supposedly the Late Replies that's in Axiom is the same as the standalone LR (one that can be used as a plugin on it's own).

Something that just hit me - I wonder if this is only usable for vst and au format users?

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:45 PM

I think they didn't intend the LR version inside Axiom to be a substitute Late Replies, only a cool delay you can use on your guitars.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
To have Late Replies as a separate plugin you have to have a separate license asset for that. Right now that's doable for $39 US and a separate license asset for Destructor is $29 IIRC.
Quote:
I think they didn't intend the LR version inside Axiom to be a substitute Late Replies, only a cool delay you can use on your guitars.
Agreed on that. I'm surprised they don't have something in the manual for Axiom about this.

Something I found in today's testing when I inserted a separate compressor plugin that normally has an external sidechain available that disappears when used in Axiom. Using the sidechain in standalone Late Replies (was Axiom) (I downloaded the demo to a separate partition) is the same as a sidechain in any other plugin that has one. Send from a PT track to the key input on the plugin. Adjust controls to taste.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 05-06-2019 at 03:33 AM. Reason: changed Axiom to Late Replies - text in red
Old 05-05-2019, 02:10 PM

You mean Late Replies standalone?
Old 05-05-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You mean Late Replies standalone?
For external sidechain use? Yes. And yes it requires a separate license & download if you have Axiom. There is a package called energy pack and IIRC that has Axiom as well as embedded and standalone versions of Late Replies and Destructor.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Sorry Jack, I'm still confused, you did install Axiom in another partition or Late Replies?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry Jack, I'm still confused, you did install Axiom in another partition or Late Replies?
My apologies for that screw-up. The standalone I downloaded in another partition was Late Replies. I corrected my post above. Too much tequila and rum

Got a reply back from Blue Cat support and there is no external sidechain input in Axiom. Made a suggestion to them that maybe they can put a note to that effect in the Axiom manual with respect to LR.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
My apologies for that screw-up. The standalone I downloaded in another partition was Late Replies. I corrected my post above. Too much tequila and rum

Got a reply back from Blue Cat support and there is no external sidechain input in Axiom. Made a suggestion to them that maybe they can put a note to that effect in the Axiom manual with respect to LR.
Those two do crazy things when they get together

Good suggestion, just a mention should do it.