Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2003, 03:49 AM

Default Unistalled my virus protection

I uninstalled my virus program(pc illin) that came with my sony vaio. Now it complettly GONE. where did it go? clicked uninstall. I searched threw my programs and add program list and my virus protection is gone. Im really bummed out, everybody said turn of the virus that will help out your davec results, all it gave me was 1 more track, big deal. I use this pc to go on line, now im screwed, because i cant go online without virus protection. Is there any way of retreiving it back??

Old 05-15-2003, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Unistalled my virus protection

Uninstalling is not the same as turning it off.
You have removed the Anti-virus software from your system, so in order to use it again you have to re-install it. Don't you have the original cd anymore?

But why can't you go online without anti-virus? Just don't download any files that could contain virusses (executables, scripts, etc).
Old 05-15-2003, 05:45 AM

I have never had any sort of virus protection on my computer and I am online all the time. Just don't download everything that any site wants you to and keep updated on your windows updates and you will be just fine. I haven't had a problem once.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KingArt:
Don't you have the original cd anymore?

But why can't you go online without anti-virus? Just don't download any files that could contain virusses (executables, scripts, etc).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My pc did not come with the anti virus cd, it was allready on the system. I dont what to chance going on line without any protection, ive spent to much on digi 001 and the pc.(and the "woman" uses the pc for surfing) What do you reconmend(cheap afforbale)like a norton virus thing? since theres no way to get in back, unless i use those system restor cds?

Old 05-15-2003, 06:31 AM

Are you sure that you don't have it on cd?
Anything that came pre-installed on your pc should have been given to you on cd too in case you ever had to reinstall. You should have gotten some type of rescue disk that has all of the software that came on the computer.

Marc
Old 05-15-2003, 10:20 AM

Just put a rubber on your input device...quack...quack

defretman
Old 05-15-2003, 11:21 AM

Pc-illin usually comes with the Motherboard CD. Along with other apps and demos. If you got a restore disk with your sony check on that for the app. You Should not have to restore, check for just the virus program by exploring the CD.
Jeff
Old 05-15-2003, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
I have never had any sort of virus protection on my computer and I am online all the time. Just don't download everything that any site wants you to and keep updated on your windows updates and you will be just fine. I haven't had a problem once.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree. I've been on the Internet with no virus protection whatsoever since 1994. I've never gotten a virus from the Internet or e-mail. My wife uses the same machine for Internet as well. You pretty much have to choose to install a virus, trojan horse, or worm yourself in order to become infected by one.

I have only once been infected by a virus, and I knew before it happened that I was going to become infected. I consciously chose to install the virus! I did so on an isolated machine, and got rid of the virus after the experiment, but the whole experience was my choice.

Also, all those infamous e-mail worms that have infected so many people... I have received the same e-mails that actually contain the worms that all the infected people received, and I did NOT get infected. I chose not to install the worm. It's that simple! I still have some of the offending e-mails on my hard drive. They're compeltely harmless unless I choose to activate them.

Viruses are a scam. Yes, they do exist. But if you know what they are and how they propagate they can be avoided without paying the anti-virus cartel the protection money they demand.

I love this Website: www.vmyths.com

It has a lot of information about the virus industry scams, hoaxes, and general misinformation that scare people into thinking that they can't live without virus protection. The site doesn't go so far as to say outright that you don't need anti-virus software, but it's so strongly implied that you can't miss it. I had the no anti-virus software philosophy long before I found this site.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 05-15-2003, 03:23 PM

Be glad you've never encountered Mr. Nimbda!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:33 PM

knock on wood. oh wait to late. I should have known better than to brag about never having a problem. not that any sort of virus software would have stoped this. This is on a whole different level. I had a hacker that managed to install a client on my system and take over my computer. Of course he couldn't do anything since he couldn't take full control. He only had control if I just let my computer sit. But as soon as the mouse started moving on its own a little box popped up that said I was connected to a user and I quickly found where I could shut it off. It wasn't a problem and the guy couldn't do a darn thing but if I hadn't been sitting there at that exact moment he could have killed my work machine. Luckily it's my jobs machine and not my home music machine. However there isn't any virus software that can stop that, for that you need a firewall or a program like black ice that will stop intruders. Luckily my home computer is on a linksys router that has a firewall built into it and I don't have to worry about it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]