Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Magma PE6R4 Power Supply

What is a good quiet power supply to use for a replacement that is easily available in the US? Did some searches and some of them are located in eur.
What are some of you using for replacements? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Magma PE6R4 Power Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
What is a good quiet power supply to use for a replacement that is easily available in the US? Did some searches and some of them are located in eur.
What are some of you using for replacements? Can someone point me in the right direction?
The new power supplies used by Magma are PC Power and Cooling 500..

http://www.pcpower.com/products/desc...12V/index.html

I have just fitted a new CIT 700 which i bought in the UK from Maplins and its really quiet!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Chris,
Would this work?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...m_power_supply

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM

You can buy the one they use directly from them. It's the one that came in my chassis and it's totally dead silent. It's, however, probably not the cheapest way to go.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM

That was an option. But way too much coin! That one is discontinued now from everywhere else I could find. This other one looks like it would do the job?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Hi,

That one only has one 12v rail and only 18 amp on the 12v rail, the better one's have more amps or twin 12v rails and are capable of more amps. it would work but not sure how long if driving 6 cards in the chassis.

If you can push to it i would go for the 600w ModXstream Pro...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...o_power_supply

This has more power on the 12v rail 25 amp so is capable of more power when needed. also boasts their quietest PSU.

The Stealthxstream would be ok and again go for the 600...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...m_power_supply

This has twin 12v rails, 2 x 18 amps which is better if your running a high load.

I found my chassis needed more power as i added more cards! which makes sense of course.

If you find a PC Power and cooling silencer 500 eps which is the PSU that magma ship the new chassis with, thats probably your best bet. it has 35 amps on one 12v rail.

Any of the above will work. 500w is the minimum requirement! but anything above can be used as long as it has enough amps on the 12 volt rails.

Remember if you are replacing the PSU on the original Magma PE6R4 (the one with 2x infiniband cables! the new PE6R4-I has one i-pass cable!!) there will be 2 power connections to the mother board! with the new power supplies only one connection is used! and you connect the one connection to the socket nearest to the rear of the chassis.

And connect one of the disk power 5v connections to the resister on the inside screwed to the inside front panel!! the resister tricks the chassis into thinking it has a hard disk connected which is needed for it to boot and run.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the info! Will look into the options and report back.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:44 PM

hi everybody,

we use X-SPS-XP800-R Xilence 800w power supplies in place of the original Magmas and they are so silent than we often forget to shut them off.
price is around 115 € included vat.

They work perfectly for the last 6 month with 6 cards in.

Hopes this help.

DBF

www.labomaticstudios.com
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
The new power supplies used by Magma are PC Power and Cooling 500..

http://www.pcpower.com/products/desc...12V/index.html

I have just fitted a new CIT 700 which i bought in the UK from Maplins and its really quiet!!

Chris
Hey Chris,

I don't know much about this, so I could certainly be mistaken, but I spoke to Magma's tech support on the phone today and he said they'd actually started using a 400W PSU, as 500W turned out to be overkill. It sounds like really the only situation that would require a more powerful PSU would be if you were putting a bunch of video cards in the chassis -- he estimated that HD cards drew around 35W or so apiece.

Sadly, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask him any other details, such as what brand, how many 12v rails, or if it had a silent fan or no fan at all, but he said that any 400W ATX power supply should get the job done just fine.

DISCLAIMER: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE ASSUME THAT I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT AND GET HURT OR DAMAGE YOUR HD CARDS BY BUILDING A FLIMSY CHASSIS BASED ON ANY SO-CALLED "INFORMATION" GLEANED FROM THIS POST!!!

Anyway, looking through the specs of that PSU you linked to, they quote a noise level of 20-34 dB which, while certainly quiet, isn't silent. But judging by empirical evidence gathered here, as well as the name of the unit (Silencer!), I assume it must be quiet enough? Any thoughts on using a fanless PSU like this one?

While we're at it, do you have any thoughts on good silent fans to use in the front of the chassis? I know many folks simply unplug them, but I figure that if the fans truly are silent, it certainly couldn't hurt to include them. I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I wonder if you've discovered any new and useful information on the subject.

Clearly, I don't know much about power supplies or chassis-building. Will that stop me from attempting it? Maybe!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfo View Post
Hey Chris,

I don't know much about this, so I could certainly be mistaken, but I spoke to Magma's tech support on the phone today and he said they'd actually started using a 400W PSU, as 500W turned out to be overkill. It sounds like really the only situation that would require a more powerful PSU would be if you were putting a bunch of video cards in the chassis -- he estimated that HD cards drew around 35W or so apiece.

Sadly, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask him any other details, such as what brand, how many 12v rails, or if it had a silent fan or no fan at all, but he said that any 400W ATX power supply should get the job done just fine.

DISCLAIMER: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE ASSUME THAT I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT AND GET HURT OR DAMAGE YOUR HD CARDS BY BUILDING A FLIMSY CHASSIS BASED ON ANY SO-CALLED "INFORMATION" GLEANED FROM THIS POST!!!

Anyway, looking through the specs of that PSU you linked to, they quote a noise level of 20-34 dB which, while certainly quiet, isn't silent. But judging by empirical evidence gathered here, as well as the name of the unit (Silencer!), I assume it must be quiet enough? Any thoughts on using a fanless PSU like this one?

While we're at it, do you have any thoughts on good silent fans to use in the front of the chassis? I know many folks simply unplug them, but I figure that if the fans truly are silent, it certainly couldn't hurt to include them. I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I wonder if you've discovered any new and useful information on the subject.

Clearly, I don't know much about power supplies or chassis-building. Will that stop me from attempting it? Maybe!
Hi,

The power supply i supplied a link for is the same PSU Magma fit to the new chassis; PC power and cooling silencer 500

No power supply is totally silent except the fanless one's and they brake down at an alarming rate and don't have the same power specs as the fan cooled PSU's

You can't over spec a power supply!! if they say 400 watt then anything from 400 to 1000 will do the job. but the important factor is the amperage on the various rails! the PC power and cooling silencer has very high amperage on the 12v rail for a 500 watt PSU but you pay the price for a well built well spec'd product.

For most people its governed by their location around the Globe, so for me there are no PC power and cooling PSU's so i had to find another product that would give the same amperage and be as quiet as possible. luckily i found the CIT 700 from Maplins in the UK and its very quiet and works perfect.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com