Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM

Default AVID/DIGI at NAMM 2010 your thoughts here.

you will have to do a lot of walking to find anything new from Digidesign.

and all you will find is that your feet get sore.

took the amtrak $10 from union station and bused $1.50 in
great deal

but anything from AVID.
no exhibit
geeeeeeez
nuttin honey.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Re: AVID/DIGI at NAMM 2010 your thoughts here.

I expected nothing, so I wasn't disappointed.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM

I'll be first to admit that I was really hoping to see something new. I have friends that have been counting down the days hoping for Delay Compensation in LE being introduced at NAMM. I'm sure they are quite disappointed. I'm hoping to see 64 bit or freeze tracks. But I'm not as desperate as the LE users are for Delay Compensation.

In any case, Digidesign will introduce something new when they are ready. I bet they are being far more cautious this time around to make sure that the next version of Pro Tools is more stable then the release of Pro Tools 8 was. I have no complaint on that.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Benches!!! Fraking benches and some tables! Really weird. Nuthin?

Apple Powerbook 1.33GHZ/ M-Box 2
OSX 10.5.8/PT LE 7.4.2
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM

How can you say nothin'... That was a very nice conference table.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 PM

trade shows are thing of the past with instant information with the internet why would spend tens or thousands of dollars reaching a few hundred when you reach thousands for a few pennies.
OTH if you have nothing new to show why to need to even show up?
I have found the Digi Webinars far more informative that trying to get somebodies attention on noisy and crowed convention floor.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 AM

NAMM is about dealer and media relationships. It is not an end-user show, although anyone with any industry contacts can get a pass. When I used to own a company that exhibited at NAMM, we made the investment primarily for the international business and relationships, not to pitch our product a zillion times to tire-kickers, and hollywood types that wanted freebies.

If Avid's namm booth is a bunch of tables and chairs, that's exactly the right idea. A place for Avid sales team to hang with the customers (and that's not us, it's the guys who SELL Avid products). Avid has better ways to reach US without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. But there is justification for a trade show -- but not to pitch products to the end users.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
and hollywood types that wanted freebies.
i did walk away with a free copy of David Hampton's new book and the new Dr. Dre sounds package.

Quote:
If Avid's namm booth is a bunch of tables and chairs, that's exactly the right idea.
ahhh So AVID (and apple by the way) did it right with the no show at NAMM and everyone else did it wrong.

looks like customer crucifixion was avoided.

I have to say. I'm going again today. Amtak is the way to go. You save about 6 miles of walking! I had more fun than any previous year except for the year I took a digital cam and shot pics of the "girls of NAMM"

http://www.jimmyhunter.com/namm_girls_WEB

Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Understand that NAMM is the introduction in North America of what is to come that new year, but these days are different than the old days..... When you have technology filtrating home studios and more affordable price points combined with the world-wide access of internet and instant communication, manufacturers don't just rely on NAMM or trade-shows to make major announcements. Sometimes a tradeshow is just showing "this is who we are, these are our wares, come see us". The AES show has become a big platform for such announcements where in the past, that wasn't the case. Of course the big one is MUSIK MESSE over in Germany. The other thing to understand is that new products announced in Jan often don't ship until September or so. Many products are held back so that they can't make a big splash when the item(s) is/ready to hit the market...and of course many don't do this as well so they can get the buzz out there. Either way, NAMM is still cool......BUT.....

There are reasons that Digidesign really wasn't making a showing....they've been busy re-aligning the ENTIRE company of AVID for a better direction in the future. That takes time, ducks need to be put into a row, everything lined up, etc. I've known that there would be nothing new announced---yet there were rumors of new, MAJOR innovations coming. BUT these were just rumors. The fact is right now that ProTools HD is selling better than ever, it's quite powerful, and you can rest assured that Digidesign also knows not to sit back and assume that is good enough
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 AM

Jimmy,

The trade show is a unique beast for tech companies... they are incredibly expensive, and the KEY WORD is "TRADE". NEVER FORGET that Avid's customer at this show are the BUYERS for their top-tier retailers.

MOST companies waste an enormous amount of money at trade shows. Yes, Maybe Avid is doing this the better way -- a place to sit-down with their customers (remember, that is NOT you or me, but the buyer who agrees to take on millions of $ of product a year) and maintain relationships.

A trade show is also VERY much about media. The international media.

It is not about the end user. Get over it. Just because everyone else in the room is spending stupid money promoting their product, doesn't mean it's the best investment.

I know the ROI numbers for my wife's company over the past few years at various shows (she does 5 major shows a year) and I can tell you that there is NO DIFFERENCE in sales when she has a 200' booth, vs the 400' -- NO DIFFERENCE! But the 200' booth costs about $20,000 less. Per show (after freight, drayage, staffing, travel, etc). That's real money.

A company must ask itself WHY it's going to the show, and what ROI it expects for the investment. Any other reason is foolish. "Because Cakewalk has a larger booth" is the answer that will bankrupt you.