Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Default Re: PT Restarts after Exiting, Endless Loop...?

YES. STILL SEEING ISSUE....

BUT, I have tracked down a cause. I upgraded to 2019.12 and had the issue after a few launches - did not have problem on first couple launches.

So, I went back to 2019.10 and the problem stopped. Everything was great, until I noticed that I had not re-initiated my Command|8 controller. With the controller functioning I get the endless restart after quit. If I uninstall Command|8 controller, restarting stops !

Hugely frustrating.

I am running Win 10 up-to-date, Kontakt Komplete, Waves Gold + HEQ + CLA Mixhub. ALL COMPLETE FRESH re-INSTALL. I reinstalled full system when 2019.12 was released - I had expected better things.

I am also finding the graphics (meters) a bit sluggish. Using GTX950 video card.

EDIT: It is more complicated than this. I need to un-instantiate Command|8 in the midi peripherals AND delete the preferences (AppData/Local/Avid and /AppData/Roaming/Avid). I can then restart ProTools, it will rescan plugins, but then shutdown is OK. If I then re-instantiate Command|8 the first time ProTools will shut down OK, BUT, the second time I go to shutdown ProTools the restarting issue begins.

EDIT2: Yup, fully reproducible pattern on my system. I am going to uninstall, reinstall 2019.12 and see if the issue is repeatable with 2019.12. This is NOT making music

EDIT3: Ok, narrowed the problem down somewhat. I reloaded ProTools 2019.12 (Full reinstall). I ran a few scenarios to find the minimum required to reproduce the problem

> Scenario 1: Fresh install; 1 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling - no restart problem

> Scenario 2: 1 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; Command|8 - no restart problem

> Scenario 3: 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; Command|8; CLA MixHub - no restart problem

> Scenario 4: 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; Command|8; CLA MixHub; 3 Instrument tracks - no restart problem

> Scenario 5: 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; Command|8; CLA MixHub; 3 Instrument tracks with 1 instance Kontakt on each Instrument with Maverick Grand Piano - no restart problem

> Scenario 6: 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; Command|8; CLA MixHub; 3 Instrument tracks with large instrument template (> 4 Gig) in each Kontakt - PROBLEM !

>> observations - (i) the 125% scaling of the 4K video image was lost and the Protools window shrank to apparently 100% scaling size and the menu fonts were messed up
(ii) the file would save normally, and not relaunch ProTools, BUT, the next time I launched ProTools the fonts and scaling are messed up AND when I quit ProTools it Restarts !

> Scenario 7: delete prefs (/Local/Avid and /Roaming/Avid); 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; CLA MixHub; 3 Instrument tracks with large instrument template (> 4 Gig) in each Kontakt - no restart problem

> Scenario 8: reload Command|8; 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 125% scaling; Command|8; CLA MixHub; 3 Instrument tracks with large instrument template (> 4 Gig) in each Kontakt - back to PROBLEM (see Scenario 6 observations)

> Scenario 9: reload Command|8; 8 stereo audio track; 4K monitor 100% scaling; Command|8; CLA MixHub; 3 Instrument tracks with large instrument template (> 4 Gig) in each Kontakt - back to PROBLEM (see Scenario 6 observations)

>> if I start Win with 100% scaling (4K res), then launch ProTools, then switch to 125% scaling, everything is great - except the restarting issue when I close ProTools.

>> Workaround - if I instantiate Command|8 after a session loads, and un-instantiate before I close ProTools, everything is fine - no restart issue, no font scaling issues..

So my slightly educated guess is there is a memory problem with the Command|8 drivers now that they have changed the underlying "64-bitness" of ProTools. It impacts video scaling for 4K monitors and causes the restart issue in Win10. Appears the load order for initialisation is important.

Ta da.

ejinbc

Last edited by ejinbc; 12-30-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-31-2019, 06:27 AM

Default PT keeps reopening when I try to close it.

Everytime I try to close PT, just by exiting a session, it closes down and then not 10 seconds later the program starts up again. This will continue to happen unless I close it from task manager.

No error comes up with this, and as far as I can tell nothing else is wrong.

This has already been asked a few times but I've tried the solutions people suggested in other threads to no avail.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:47 AM

Default Re: PT keeps reopening when I try to close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOOTOOO View Post
Everytime I try to close PT, just by exiting a session, it closes down and then not 10 seconds later the program starts up again. This will continue to happen unless I close it from task manager.

No error comes up with this, and as far as I can tell nothing else is wrong.

This has already been asked a few times but I've tried the solutions people suggested in other threads to no avail.
Can you give us any less info? Try the 'help us to help you' link that's at the top of every page. Otherwise time is just being wasted (ours & yours). There's plenty of good knowledgeable people here but we're not mind readers or remote viewers.

QAPLA!
Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 AM

I just posted an analysis of the problem on my system over in the Windows section:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406849&page=12

See if this applies to you. I think this is a complicated memory allocation issue that in my case involved a Command|8 midi controller and large sample libraries. It also messed up font scaling with 4K video.

Perhaps this will give you some clues. I have a workaround for now on my system.

ejinbc
Old 12-31-2019, 08:28 AM

I’m pretty sure this is because of your ilok version. Update it and I bet it solves the problem.

I had this same issue earlier this year.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Case View Post
I’m pretty sure this is because of your ilok version. Update it and I bet it solves the problem.

I had this same issue earlier this year.
Hi Tom

My problems persisted after the ilok update. All of my analysis (see above) was done with the latest ProTools install package as well. I think there might be more to this than just the ilok drivers. Or not.

ejinbc
Old 01-01-2020, 12:31 AM

Updating iLok seemed to work the one time I tried it, but thank you for your very in depth answer. If the problem persists I will reference your video.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:08 PM

Hi, I'm running Pro Tools 2020.9.1 on Windows 10, and Pro Tools restarts after I exit. I 'fixed' this problem before by updating the iLok manager, but now iLok is up to date, and it still happens. It takes time waiting for everything to load so that I can shut it down again. This has been on and off for years. It would be nice if it was fixed.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregX View Post
Hi, I'm running Pro Tools 2020.9.1 on Windows 10, and Pro Tools restarts after I exit. I 'fixed' this problem before by updating the iLok manager, but now iLok is up to date, and it still happens. It takes time waiting for everything to load so that I can shut it down again. This has been on and off for years. It would be nice if it was fixed.
You don't need to wait for everything to load.

Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.

Right-click the Pro Tools process and END TASK. It will immediately shut down.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-16-2020, 08:52 PM

Would you happen to have any instances of Nomad Factory plugins in the session?

I have this issue with NF Cosmos & Pulse Tech EQ (Windows 10).
End up having to deactivate or remove the instances then re-save the session before closing.
Or commit the track if the sound is final.

The most recent version of NF plugins doesn't solve issue so just have to remind myself to follow those procedures before closing.

Last edited by take77; 09-10-2022 at 03:50 PM.