Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Suddenly PT won't load Plug-Ins because not valid 64-bit

Sierra is a good choice anyway, because once you have your system upgraded you can choose to update PT whenever you feel like, not having to upgrade everything -- the latest 2019.6 is still supported with the final update of Sierra.

For future reference, find the compatibility matrix here
Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

No, you could still use PT 12.7.1 with macOS 10.12.2 (supported) and very likely latest Sierra update as well. In fact I would recommend you take this upgrade when you have time to do so, because ElCrap is notoriously bad version of macOS
I should also mention that I upgraded to 12.8.3 since experiencing this problem. Do you think it would be safe to just upgrade El Crap to High Sierra 10.13.2 ?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.r.banville View Post
I should also mention that I upgraded to 12.8.3 since experiencing this problem. Do you think it would be safe to just upgrade El Crap to High Sierra 10.13.2
Anything is way better than ElCrap anyway, but I would still take last Sierra update version over dot-two of High Sierra. Unless your computer has (or you are planning to use) SSD drives, in which case HS brings APFS to the table.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:18 AM

If you update to Sierra I would try to do an earlier version than 12.6. That combo update probably has the latest security update which I think caused my issue. No sense in updating to get the same problem.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
If you update to Sierra I would try to do an earlier version than 12.6. That combo update probably has the latest security update which I think caused my issue. No sense in updating to get the same problem.
Is there a reason why you do not want to upgrade to High Sierra ? Earlier posts suggest that it's stable and would resolve the issue unless I missed something in the thread.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 AM

I don't remember any longer which dot-release made the HS "stable" but for sure there were some big changes along the way. It took a long time for PT to support the latest dot-six update, which your current PT version does not support (might work anyway). So that is why Sierra might be better bet for you. If you have problems with it you can always upgrade to High Sierra with ease, but other way around it is tricky.

In case you are comfortable with updating your PT to latest, I would suggest you install latest Mojave now as Apple is releasing Catalina within a month and Mojave is already very stable. PT2019 also works very well with Mojave so that's something you could be using for long time, at least until the disaster of 64-bit only has been solved.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.r.banville View Post
Is there a reason why you do not want to upgrade to High Sierra ? Earlier posts suggest that it's stable and would resolve the issue unless I missed something in the thread.
Because Sierra is rock solid and I have no reason to upgrade other than to fix this issue. With the amount of programs I use there are always issues after an OS update, including potentially upgrade fees for older licenses. I also use a flashed nvidea gpu which has its own set of issues when moving os’s.

I will forever stick with if it ain’t broke... unfortunately it looks like it’s now broke.

Last edited by SaschaP; 09-30-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Anything is way better than ElCrap anyway, but I would still take last Sierra update version over dot-two of High Sierra. Unless your computer has (or you are planning to use) SSD drives, in which case HS brings APFS to the table.
Have you noticed any ssd performance increase from apfs?
Old 09-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
Have you noticed any ssd performance increase from apfs?
Performance would not be the first feature I'd think of with APFS... more robustness and advanced features like snapshots (which very few people are likely using today).
Old 09-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Apple def. touted faster read / write speeds when they launched it.