Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM

Default Having major problems with Protools LE 7.4 for Vista

I keep getting a message saying "Pro Tools Application has stopped working" A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

The problem is I'm not getting any solutions. I searched that error message and found the following message below. The problem is I've done all of those steps, and it still didn't work. Windows Explorer 8 is not showing up on my computer at all. Even after typing in FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart into the command menu. I'm not so sure its a windows 8 problem anymore. I'm getting very frustrated, because I have 4 songs written, and don't have time to be playing games with this right now. Any help would be awesome because the steps below are a laugher, and my problems seems to be a little more difficult. Thanks guys

Pro Tools application has stopped working, does not open or gets stuck at loading plug-ins on launch with Windows XP or Windows Vista.

If you are unable to launch Pro Tools while using Windows Vista or XP and have experienced one or more of the following symptoms, please try removing Windows Internet Explorer 8 (see removal instructions below.)

Behavior observed in Vista:

A) "Pro Tools application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Behavior observed in XP:

A) Pro Tools will begin to launch, load plug-ins and stop loading (get stuck) at structure.dpm or another plug-in file name.

B) After attempting to launch the Pro Tools program, an hour glass appears for a moment then disappears. (Task Manager > Processes may show Protools.exe as a running process)

Instructions to Remove Windows Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)

Windows XP:

1) Click on "Start"
2) Choose "Control Panel"
3) Choose "Add or Remove Programs"
4) Check the box to "Show Updates"
5) Locate "Windows Internet Explorer 8" and select it
6) Click "Remove"

Follow the on screen instructions to complete the Removal Process.

Windows Vista:

1) Click on "Start"
2) Choose "Control Panel"
3) Choose "Programs" ("Programs and Features" in classic view)
4) Click "View Installed Updates"
5) Locate "Windows Internet Explorer 8" and select it
6) Click "Uninstall" from the top of the window

Follow the on screen instructions to complete the Removal Process.

*This behavior can sometimes also be a result of having DEP (Data Execution Prevention) turned on. If the Above steps are unsuccessful, please see the following articles with instructions on how to turn off DEP (Also known as DEP Fix):

Windows XP | DEP

Windows Vista | DEP

In the rare case where add/remove shows IE7 when in you actually have IE8 installed, these instructions should help you remove IE8:

Windows XP:
1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Windows Vista:
1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
2. Click Start, and then type Cmd.exe in the Start Search box.
3. In the list of programs, right-click Cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
4. Right-click inside the Administrator: Command Prompt window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer. Keywords: DigiSupKW DigiSupKW_Answerbase ; PlatformKW_Undefined ; ArticleID 38111 ; OldAnswerbaseID ;