Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Mac downloads,OSX.2.3,?

Hi all i just got PT6 and i'd like to load it up but i don't have the OS(10.2.3) needed to run the software.Here's my problem I surf the web on a PC and use my MAC for audio only.I've downloaded the new OS update and a firmware update also.I've tried burning these to a cd-r and putting them in the mac but the file's won't open.As you can probably tell im clueless [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .Any help would be great.

Here's what i'm running:
MDD DP867 w/OS X.2.1
Old 02-15-2003, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Mac downloads,OSX.2.3,?

I just got an 867 TiBook that came with OS 10.1 loaded and the Software Update feature automatically went out and downloaded 10.2.3! You said that you downloaded the latest OS update - which one and what does your system profiler say is loaded now? You may already have 10.2.3. What happens when you load the PT6 CD?
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 02-15-2003, 08:48 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Hey B-Man... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
For OS X anyway, perhaps the best way to do it is to connect when you need to update only. The rest of the time stay off the internet w/ your audio machine. This is the way we do it w/ our similar set-up. No problems...
Old 02-15-2003, 08:56 AM

yeah if i can't figure out how to get it from pc files to my mac i guess i'll have to do that.i have a cable modem and high speed connection that connects via USB(i ordered the mac with no internet card).The thing is i'll have to load the drivers for the modem on the mac and then haul the mac across the house to the modem [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .That will be last resort,but i guess things could be worse. thanks for the reply.anyone else???
Old 02-15-2003, 09:06 AM

Quote:
i ordered the mac with no internet card
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think that's possible. Ethernet is built in to the motherboard of all macs - it's been that way for years. You can configure a tower without a modem, but not without ethernet.

Another option for you would be to buy a 50' or 100' ethernet cable and run that from your high speed modem accross the house to your mac...oh wait - you mean your high speed modem only connects via USB? That's horrible! USB is way to slow for that, you might as well be on dial up (well, it's not quite as slow as dial-up, but you're definitely not taking advantage of the high speed connection). Seriously though, get an ethernet modem, you'll see much better speeds, and be more compatible with your mac!
Old 02-15-2003, 09:28 AM

I have the same Mac (w/ Mbox) and a PC. I download the updates on my PC then burn them onto CD. Put the CD in the Mac; works fine for me.

What program are you using to burn CDs on your PC? I use Nero and it works great. I would guess that something's going wrong in the burning process. Your Mac should have no trouble reading a CD burned on your PC w/ those update files.

My Mac is hooked up to the Internet on the same router, but I like using Nero better, so I just do it this way.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:00 PM

Hey Auxsend ,i'm using Adaptec cd creator it's the only thing i've got to make cd's info/audio.i'll try once more since your doing it i shouldn't be having problems...When you load the disc in the mac and it appears on the desk top do you just open it up and drag the updates onto the desk top??
Old 02-15-2003, 03:08 PM

OK i'm stumped! i can't get the mac to read the file that i drag and drop on the desktop.Should i just drag them into a folder in the system folder(update folder) if there is one?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:24 PM

Well i never did get the whole pc file to mac thing working,so i ran a cable the length of my Apt. and connected my mac to the internet so i could get the software update so i could install PT's 6 so i could see what all the fuss is about so i can find something to complain about in PT's6 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ........just letting someone know,i'm off to my install.I'll post my findings [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:42 PM

Hey I do the pc-mac thing all the time, maybe you're all set but I was wondering; did you download the right update? I haven't been there recently but you know they have the combo updates, just make sure you get the right one and that you've downloaded theWHOLE file, sometimes you get booted off and you don't get the whole
.dmg file.
I'm not swearing really [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Good luck
daniel